I Forge Iron

bladesmith hammers

Gerald Boggs

While I've been forging hammers for a while, these are my first go at the off-center style favored by bladesmiths. The one with the handle, as you can see, is forged with an angled eye. The one beside has a straight eye. The tools are those which were used: Slot punch, hammer eye drift and the taper hammer eye drift. Next try will be the tapered doghead style. Maybe tomorrow if time permits.

post-2494-0-16672400-1340844376_thumb.jp

Secret stuff :-) All will be reveled in detail in book three of Mark Aspery.

In the meantime, I just slot punched from both sides with the slots offset by a 1/4 inch. Gives me a common hole on the overlapping end of each slot. The drift will follow the slots and end up going in at an angle.

gotta love secrets!!!!! sam have you seen any of mark's 1st two books ??? i would guess after looking at the tooling in those, that its all about the backing,soooooo possibly a angled back plate....cant wait for book 3....nice looking hammer's gb.....you still working for steven stokes ???

I learned smithing basics before I ever made a blade, and with few exceptions i forge with a farrier style rouinding hammer. I flip it from flat face to the rounding face a lot as i move steel. I know wot to expect from each face and wot part of the anvil to support that move. Those hammers make sense to me but I might feel real uncomfotable lusing them.

As these are practice/prototypes, I'm using mild steel and the size is one inch square. When I go to production, I'll be using 4140 round and will start with whatever diameter gives me the weight I'm looking for. E.g., 1 3/8 will give me a bit over 2 lbs if I start with five inches and 1 1/2 will give me 2 1/2 minus any loss during forging :-)

Nice looking hammers, I have forged a few blades in my day and use a standard forging hammer with a prett decent radius on the face just walk down the edge using the radius of the hammer to give me a bevel.
I would be quite interested in your results and how you think they work after you have tried them out. Please post some info after you run them around the block.