I Forge Iron

What do you guys think of this anvil? 400#?

Interesting anvil. The small step made me initially think Brooks/Vaughn, but the heel is too thin. Looks like a mild casting defect in the parting line under the horn, but the edges of the face look honestly worn, chipped and rusted. Perhaps one of the cast base/forged top half anvils like Columbian? Never seen a live Columbian on the hoof, just going off pictures here...

I am with Stewart on this- you need this anvil. I would question the weight, it may be a 300 lb anvil. So you tell the guy, "You have it listed at $2.50/ lb, and it is 300 lb = $750" Anvils are usually marked for weight, I see them all the time where the guy says it weighs 300 lb because it takes 3 or 4 guys to pick it up, when in fact he has a 200 lb anvil and 3 or 4 wimpy guys.

You are joking, right? If I lived near that anvil, it would be in the back of my minivan faster that the wing- bat of a hummingbird. Jump on that anvil! For $2.50 a pound, how many four hundred pounders are out there?

I know. But I really don't have the money now. This is more of a first come, first served.
As far as weight. It was pictured with a 150ish pound HayBudden in his original add and it dwarfed the HB. I lean towards it truly being 400#.

The original pictures also show the faceplate sitting proud of the edges of the anvil slightly.

Columbian were cast steel anvils not multipart ones. Now Trentons and Arm and Hammers used a cast base and forged top IIRC---and tend toward the elongated horn and heel look too.

Get a true weight on it---two bathroom scales with a board across them and the anvil place in the middle should at least get you close.

If it is an american made anvil it will be marked in lbs and not cwt

a Picture of the underside of the base can help tell what it is too.

I knew an old smith, (had over 60 years in as a paid working smith), that had a 400# double horned Columbian anvil that I have dearly coveted for around 28 years now, as he was in his 80's when I first met him he's almost certainly gone and I still wonder what became of it...

Having lived in Columbus OH too I've seen a couple of A&H and Trentons go past and they tend towards the exaggerated lines of the late 19th century American anvils.

Shoot I freely confess: Anvils, I loves them all! (well almost all, not a big fan of Vulcans and ASOs)