I Forge Iron

Need help with spear

Hi!

I would like to create a spearhead like this:

I know how to join the socket and the point together in fire if you make them from two different peaces yet I wonder how this kind of spearhead was made without modern welder. Here it is like the socket goes along the point.

Or is it just a cheat and was made using the same method as this one?

I mean I could shape the head so that it looks like the socket continues but I still wonder how it was made originally.

Thanks and please excuse me for my poor english!

The few folks that read wot i type here already know wot I will say. This is a forging piece,,When you build your skills up with heat, hammer an anvill you will be able to work anything out by applyin basics. You have a specific goal but are stuck in how to get to the end,,trust me on this,,when you do the basics and learn just wot heat hammer and anvil can do: when you know wot part of the anvil and which kind of hammer to use: when you know how to move steel in specific ways,,any item you wish to forge will be an application of those skills. One thing we already know is you have the desire to learn. One thing we see often is folks getting discouraged due to a lack of making a specific piece in a relatively prepared manner.
Here are some goals for you to consider: Learn to draw metal,,make it longer,,learn to upset metal,,make it shorter, learn to make a piece wider. learn wot hammer face and wot part of the anvil does those things most efficiently. Learn to make holes in metal and wot tools that takes..learn to control your heat source and wot heat works best for your work.Learn how to stand at the anvil,,wot height it should be, Learn proper body movements to swing a hammer. Dang this almost sounds like i am suggesting a smithing course! I am..you can do a lot at home with no other help but the information you find on here. However that may take a really long time,,Maybe if you forge twenty or forty hours a week for a couple of years you could learn a lot of these items,,if you got some good help you could cut that time down a lot,,if you went to group meetings in your area maybe cut it more. If you got one on one instruction from a good instructor it would shorten that time down a lot. A good instructor can watch you work and make suggests to you that you cannot do if you are alone. No matter whether you take my advice or not,,you will know later on wot i just typed in here and how it applies.

"The sockets also forged from the single piece of bar."

How can it be that there is no hole between the socket and the point on one side? I mean, if I flatten the bar and make the socket from it, it looks like this one:

Am I wrong? I can't really imagine how one could forge from one peace without that hole. I guess if I flatten the socket part it is impassible that there will be no hole. It will be like a spade or somewhat.

"Here are some goals for you to consider" ok, thank you for the tips, I know you speak the truth. I know how does it work: practice, practice, practice... Never mind, I will create this spear all the ways I can imagine, then I will see the result.

I looked at the spear head pic and zoomed in to 400% to get a good look at the conection between the blade and the socket. It almost looks as if were mig welded together and worked with a hammer. What is the origin of the spear points in the pics are they modern reproductions or antique?

or forge the whole thing from one peice like a bow tie shape, then create the blade, widen the flat section and roll the socket... there would be no ridg but if you use thicker bar or like others have said, round bar, you could draw the edges....
Josh

I looked at the spear head pic and zoomed in to 400% to get a good look at the conection between the blade and the socket. It almost looks as if were mig welded together and worked with a hammer. What is the origin of the spear points in the pics are they modern reproductions or antique?

It is reproduction. I am sure it is mig welded, the question was: 'how it was made originally?'. However I have my answers now, thank all of you for your help!

The spear points remind of Greek bronze points I saw in a museum catalog. I want to say it was an Italian museum but don't remember this early. If they were bronze then they probably were cast originally and hammered to harden. You might want to do a search on here for spear or spear points. There have been a lot of articles on them and construction.

Brian Pierson

• 1 year later...

Hi ive been browsing the spears entries looking for q&a looking to make my own too. this is my research phase and i can offer a little help on this, i know in my head how my spear will look and dont really like the grinding of bevels ect that this site shows but the socket i think will be  of help during the trickiest part of your project.... maybe this site will help with the mechanics of your idea http://www.celticclans.org/spear101-1.html

Hope it helps, back to researching...

Will

Hempha, the idea of making multiple prototypes, using the diffent methods you can think of shows the rich additude. (Adaptive text strikes again, but "Rich additude works just as well as "right additude")
The examples you have shown being forged use flack stock, that creates a diffent effect.
As to welding on the socket. Forge welding wouldn't be consider a cheat.