I Forge Iron

Bleeding Heart spike hawk

Your your work is amazing! I'll ask you again, what inspired you to embrace such an American style of weapons? You do it better than we do.... :D
Hi macbruce thats a big complement there mate appreciate a lot, I try my best .
Just one of those things you get interested in like blacksmithing and just cant let it go i guess
part of smithing , Knives are good too i just prefere hawks.
Chris

post-25508-0-67139000-1340285470_thumb.j

Hi macbruce thats a big complement there mate appreciate a lot, I try my best .
Just one of those things you get interested in like blacksmithing and just cant let it go i guess
part of smithing , Knives are good too i just prefere hawks.
Chris

Thanks Chris, Would the knife be considered a Bowie or an Arkansas Tooth Pick? Very nice blade....

The second hawk and the bowie are impressive to say the least...but the bleeding heart hawk is absolutely the best piece of work I have seen in a long while. Simply amazing....
HI there Thomas Dean ,Thank you very much for you time to post glad you like my work
appreciate .
Chris

really nice work.
It the copper heart inlayed? I love the contrast
Hi teenylittlemetalguy yes the copper is inlayed went with copper for its reddish ting
to go with the bleading heart theme ,and the catch on the sheath is ivory i dyed red as well
to match in thank you for your interest .
Chris

any advice on silver wire inlay on blades chris, like pre or post heat treatment?
Hi iron woody.
I suggest you use pure silver or pure gold they dont tarnish or patina like those that have been
alloyed ,

If your selectively hardening like a axe ,tomahawk or knife the surface preparation can be done after heat treating
prepare surface as usual , If your going to harden the lot like most stainless steels are i would prepare the surface to take the inlay first.
Fully aneal your wire first before trying to inlay
Chris,

That is a beautiful piece, the lines are carefully crafted. Could you do a video on how you make something like that from block of steel to finished hawk? And if not that, perhaps a series of images?
Hi AndersMJ.thank you for the complement,
i will try and find some pix if i can .
Chris

Hi AndersMJ.
Only found a couple so far .
First i ruff square makes it a bit easyier to slit
when you work alone than round on the anvil .
I use a piece of h13 forged into a slitter chisel .

I have a few i must finished so it may be a while
before i start anymore sorry for that .

post-25508-0-98026800-1340661019_thumb.j

post-25508-0-42444700-1340661056_thumb.j

post-25508-0-39850700-1340661511_thumb.j

post-25508-0-96541800-1340661551_thumb.j

No worries mate. ;) There must be a lot of hammer marks on the blade after you've hammered it into shape? Do you just use a flatter to make it more plain looking? Or a flap disk or what? Thanks for showing this, much appreciated since my interest lies especially with knives, axes and tools.

No worries mate. ;) There must be a lot of hammer marks on the blade after you've hammered it into shape? Do you just use a flatter to make it more plain looking? Or a flap disk or what? Thanks for showing this, much appreciated since my interest lies especially with knives, axes and tools.
If you take your time in the last steps you get most out i use a good file heres a pic of when i was doing the pipe hawk from rail clip .
Chris

post-25508-0-50874500-1340690905_thumb.j