I Forge Iron

Newbie question

Measle

Ok so im just getting into bladesmithing, so new still working on my forge. But my first project was going to be reforgeing a sword I got as a gift. It's just a simple sword u can get at any flea market for like 10-20 bucks. It's pretty beat up with bends and dents from the last owner and my question was can u reforge one of those swords cuz I have been told it would just break if I tried.

If it's stainless, no. If it rust, maybe. There is really no reason to. Re-forging blades is something from the movies. I suppose some these smiths here have the knowlege and skill to do it, as for me I'd just start from scratch.

why can't we re forge stainless? Inquireing minds want to know. (I agree he should not try either way, Learn the basics before jumping into the deep end)

You *can* forge stainless, even the 440 grades. However it is more difficult and the heat treatments is A LOT MORE DIFFICULT and not suggested for a person starting out as getting it wrong can result in injury to your self or friends.

Also blades don't get reforged in general as they already are to size and any more forging makes them *under* sized. The old legends speak of taking broken blades and welding them up into a billet and then forging that billet back into a blade---that will be smaller and lighter unless the material lost in the welding and forging is made up by adding more. (Pay no attention on how Hollywood shows it in the movies as it's about as accurate as their super hero movies are to real life...)

Now welding up piece of a broken sword *may* improve it if it broke due to inhomogeneity or too high of carbon content. However modern alloys don't suffer that---except that you may introduce it trying to follow what worked for steels 1000+ years ago.

Thanks Mast C, that's what I ment. <_< Not that forging wasn't possible, just that it is beyond most to do it. I wouldn't try it, I learnt my leason about high chromium steels. My elbow still hurts. It won. :angry: I will forever be a newbie when it comes to stainless. :wacko: I'll leave it to you guys. :o

• 3 weeks later...