I Forge Iron

My work is having a silent auction and there is an anvil in it. It has one horn and a flat rear. The bottom appears to be cast with 59 on the rear and 18 on the front, the upper is forged and rings when hit. Width of face is 4in and face length 14. Horn length 8in, base 10in x 9in and an overall height of 11.5in. Guessing somewhere around 50-60 pounds. Always wanted an anvil and don’t know the maker or what it is even worth. Any help would be appreciated – Jason

No other markings. I forgot to mention that it has a Hardie Hole and a Pritchel hole. The table at the base of the horn is 3in x 4 in and the edges don't extend past the with of the horn.

I'm from New york State - Near Elmira NY - I wish I could get a photo but cameras are not allowed where I work. The anvil was part of an old trades shop that they recently did away with.

Welcome aboard Elmira Guy, glad to have you.

Sorry I can't be of much help with so little information. What you're describing is a pretty basic London pattern anvil from somewhere in the last couple hundred years, give or take. The pertinent variables are: Make, Weight, Condition, Location, Market pressure. You might be able to learn more by taking a rubbing on the sides, you know, thin paper and charcoal or the flat of a pencil. You can do the same by rubbing it with chalk and wiping it off but you may not want to let everybody know what it is.

Frosty The Lucky.

The measurements you give are pretty close to my anvil and it weighs just over a hundred pounds. This is a great size for general tinkering, and it's easy to move out of the way when you need to.

If the edges are clean and not badly chipped, I wouldn't have a problem bidding a dollar a pound for it. That it's been in a trades shop is a good sign because those kinds of people aren't likely to have garbage tools in the workplace. As long as you don't see "china" stamped on it, I say to bid.

Without more information on the make, model and condition, I would caution you to not bid more than two dollars a pound for it.

No other markings. I forgot to mention that it has a Hardie Hole and a Pritchel hole. The table at the base of the horn is 3in x 4 in and the edges don't extend past the with of the horn.

I'm from New york State - Near Elmira NY - I wish I could get a photo but cameras are not allowed where I work. The anvil was part of an old trades shop that they recently did away with.

I'm a couple hrs. north of you & find anvils aren't that difficult to come by. Check out craigs list or barn sales on a regular basis & sooner or later you'll find one to your liking. And don't feel you have to jump on the first one you see, as they're plentiful in this part of the country. Patience is a virtue.