I Forge Iron

desert cacti

The Gila fire is in the southwestern part of N Mex, and there is a new fire near Jemez further north of the Gila fire. Where we are, we've got some smoky haze. Of course, I'm used to breathing that sort of thing in the shop.

And macbruce, "Don't hunker with your spurs on."

Just the picture of a cholla gives me the willies! Pretty flowers aren't enough to give me good memories of jumping cactus you know. Reminds me of the first time I brushed into one; I was maybe 11 and after getting tweasered thorn free I went back with a long stick seeking revenge. I don't remember how long I spent beating that shrub sized cactus to smithereens but I didn't leave a piece larger than a walnut, well maybe a tad larger. When I went back to that part of the wash after rainy season I discovered a really big patch of Cholla, at least 50'+ around. When I talked about the amazing event my Grandmother told me every single piece of cactus with a thorn will take root and grow another cactus. <sigh>

Prickly Pear are tasty when ripe, we had lots of those around, LOTS. There was lots of Yucca too, really pretty when they bloom. Anyone remember the song with, "Yucca bean, Yucca stew," in it? Now it's going to bug me all day.

Glad you're not too close to the fires, I can still smell the Chaparral smoke in my memory.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm about 2 hours interstate drive closer to the fire than Frank. We've had the valley so full of smoke you couldn't see a mile in it and had to close up the house and run off internal fans to try to breathe overnight.

It's better now but it all depends on the wind direction.

My problem is that when I wake up in the middle of the night and smell wood fire smoke I tend to want to get up and check out the house to make sure *we're* not burning.

I know the feeling Thomas. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley north of LA and we used to get some serious fires in the hills. I can still see the flames cresting over the mountains and smell the smoke. In those days it wasn't uncommon to only have a mile or so visibility due to smog. No Angelino trusts air s/he can't see. I've been heating and supplementing with wood for a long time and smelling smoke in the house is like sounding "General Stations."

Be safe all you desert rats, I don't have enough friends to risk any.

Frosty The Lucky.