I Forge Iron

inline treadle design

reading some of the trouble some have with a normal treadle (hammer and anvil not lining up with dies and tooling)..
i wanted to come up with an inline that was simple and easy to build. sooooo this is what ive come up with.. planned on using something similiar to thompson rails/ linear rails for the hammer to slide on .. and something similar to a clevis for hingepoints between link bars.. im sure you can pretty much tell whats going on in the pic ( i hope :unsure: ).. the plan is to make the longer link bar adjustable on both ends.. and obviously i havent come up with a plan for the spring.. other than my obvious lack of artistic skill what do you fellas think?
2012-05-28_12-11-46_994.jpg

Hi All
here is what I came up with it like the one that is also being talked about.
There is a slot cut in the front and back of the spine of this hammer for the linkage to pass through. The treadle rod can be on the outside or in the center of the spine tube. Springs can be out of the way on the back. If this helps under stand this or if it clearsup anything feel free to use it.
HH
CH

post-23514-0-36525500-1338327582_thumb.j

gentlemen i appreciate the input.. i was trying to go with a design that i thought was simple.. CH your hammer design looks and works great it just seems like too much linkage for me... i just came across the clay spencer inline and i may just have to build one of those thanks again fellas

gentlemen i appreciate the input.. i was trying to go with a design that i thought was simple.. CH your hammer design looks and works great it just seems like too much linkage for me... i just came across the clay spencer inline and i may just have to build one of those thanks again fellas

Hi Gator
The design I posted I'm sorry to say that it is not mine. It is the one in another post on this forum by Jason. I have a set of plans form the ABANA treadle hammer which I think is either by Clay or Rob Gunter, but it is a good treadle hammer design. I used it as a guide when I built mine. There seams to be a rush to an inline type treadle design which by it's nature is complicated.
HH
CH