I Forge Iron

First good flea market score in a while**new Vise**

KYBOY

We have several good vices so I pretty much only look at big vises and real good deals but I couldnt pass this one up.A real nice wagon toungue vice in great condition..Only missing the little bent flat bar on the bottom..One of those can be made in 20 minutes though..Got this puppy for $35 :D
100_6185.jpg
100_6186.jpg

I have seen them sell pretty high..This one is a 4"..Not sure what Im gonna do with it yet..i know we'll forge a nice bottom bar for that bracket to make it complete..
It hasnt been used much, the jaws still have all the checkering on them..

About everyone I have seen has been a 3.75 inch..I thought thats what this one was til' I measured it..I was a bit supprised at it being a 4"..Im pretty happy about it, I havent had much luck the last few years at the flea markets with smithing tools..
Thats a sweet rig you got there by the way..

...Thats a sweet rig you got there by the way..

Thank you. It was quite a learning experience researching and constructing it. I just took the government plans and started making parts from the plans for something to do, hinges, hasp, handles, fasteners, hooks, understraps, forge pan, tools to construct wheels, etc, etc, and learned as I went. I did not start making parts with the expectation of actually constructing a 1800s army Traveling Forge, I was just making parts as an exercise in something to do.

You have a very nice vise that will come in handy when you do public demonstrations. While a wheeled 1800s army forge may be too much for most folks to spend time building, there are other less time consuming options for portable smithing set-ups that can be used at historical events where your vise would work excellently.

What David is too polite to tell you is that the complete plans and instructions to make an accurate ACW blacksmith forge/cart is in the book he wrote---the one under his name "Civil War Blacksmithing".

Such a pretty wagon tongue vise really could use a proper wagon to go on....

KY is there anyway you ( or anyone on here whonhas one mounted) couldvtake a pic either off of the anvil or mounted. I have never seen one of these and would love to know what to look for. Good, clear pics but hard for me to tell where vice and anvi separate. Thanks for sharing.