I Forge Iron

Trenton 178

I 'inherited' a Trenton 178# anvil, attached to oil soaked block by what appears to be original hardware, when I bought a foreclosed house in 2009. I have posted it on craigslist and in local newspapers asking for a reasonable offer. From other trenton anvils being sold online auctions there is a wide range of prices. The one that is most similiar was a 162# on a block with original hardware that sold for $700.

My wife is doing landscaping and wants to use it in our front yard as a decoration. But if the anvil is worth a serious amount of money, I would much rather sell it than let it weather outside.

Anyone have any ideas how to value this anvil? And if so, anyone want to buy it?

Dear Justinwood, Its not as valuable as you may think. In general anvils of that type go for about $350-$500. $700 in my expience is wayyyy out of range for an anvil of that size. I do agree with you that its to valuable to use as yard art. I personally am sad when I see perfectly good tools being used to dress up a yard, just rusting away unused. There are anvils in use that are hundreds of years old. To most of us blacksmiths and those who hit hot iron, anvils are tools to be used. Others will chime in with their opinions. But for me, personally, I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a 162# Trenton, stump or no stump. But thats me. Others will feel differently about it.

I paid $200 for my 168# Trenton a couple years ago. It was listed in Craigslist with camera phone pictures. The stump and hardware are not original because Trenton only made the anvil. The hardware was devised by a previous owner.

Phil

Anvil prices can differ by up to 50% depending on location---where I used to live they were considerably cheaper than where I live now. So do we assume you live in the expensive area or the cheap area. And is that Canadian dollars, Singapore Dollars, Australian Dollars?

At most I would tell a person fairly desperate for an anvil that they should go up to $3 per pound if the anvil is in *mint* condition. Yes some anvils sell for more but I consider their buyers crazy myself. Personally I have filled my shop with great anvils with the top one being about US$1.50 a pound---of course I used to live where they were cheap; but I have still bought them at that price here where they are rare.

If you paint the anvil nicely it won't degrade much in a long time of sitting outside---though that is location specific too---here in NM it could go centuries with little degradation, Along the seaside it would be more like decades...

If your wife really wants a lawn ornament try to work a deal where you get paid a decent price and a trade in of a worn or damaged anvil so both people are happy. I once bought a 410# Trenton where part of the deal was I traded in a 125# PW as the owner of the Trenton still wanted an anvil but was tired of moving the large one around. (and I traded a screw and screwbox for a postvise and US$100 as boot)

I'd say it's a shame to use a good tool for a yard ornament but I guess to each his or her own. Like others have said see if you can work a trade with someone in a blacksmithing group near you for a cracked or broken one and if that don't work for you then oil the thing up a couple of times a year until you both pass away and then the next owner of the house can dispose of it to a blacksmith. Wrought iron anvil rust away slowly and the hard face may pit some but that shouldn't hurt it for a dedicated smith. I think that anywhere from nearly $350 to $500 is pretty good money, that's in the $2 to $3 a pound range, that's what anvils go for in AZ.

Thank you for all the replies, I will get some pictures as soon as possible.

I live in Cortland, NY

I agree, I would much rather it not be a piece of 'yard' art' and if I can sell it off, make a little money and give someone a good deal I would much rather do that.

Thanks again

With some wax paper or grease as a release agent, plaster and fabric (think cast on your arm) and a little trial and error you can make a mold using the anvil as the master and cast a concrete one with pigment for yard art. It would be a shame to use put a nice anvil in the garden. Unless maybe your wife doesn't mind you building a fire with the garden plants and using it there?

Frosty The Lucky.