I Forge Iron

Nimba anvil

• 1 year later...

digging up an old thread here. but I did a google search for "New Forged Steel Anvil" and came acrossed a list of Anvil manufactures and my eyes about popped out of my head when I saw where Nimba Anvils were made (maybe two hours from my door step... probably less). Than a quick search on here, and Vuala!

When the time comes I think I'll be getting myself a nice new NIMBA Gladiator, unless someone can tell me a reason not to...? save the price. but this will be a splurged purchase as the majority of my blacksmithing will be for fun. and I plan on keeping my tool purchase to an absolute minimum on this hobby for now.

So, can anyone give me a good reason not to get a gladiator in a couple of years?

Jim is a great guy and great blacksmith but there is nothing much to see really as far as building of the anvils goes.   They are cast locally and Jim fettles each one by hand bringing them to life.   But unless you like watching a guy run a grinder for hours its not much of a treat I reckon

So, can anyone give me a good reason not to get a gladiator in a couple of years?

Only reason I can think of would be cost. You'd probably be better served picking up a nice used one and practicing on that. Less money, and chances are you won't damage an expensive anvil by making mistakes while learning.

I will say my forging instructor mentioned in a discussion on anvils that if he had to have just one anvil from his shop, it would probably be his Nimba over the other 8 to 10 anvils they have. If I had the money one would certainly be on my list when my skills improved to that level.

While there's no doubt that the Nimba line is quality through and through, the Gladiator's wide face really throws me off.  My Fisher has a 5.25" wide face and it can be a bear to work around some times.  My Wilkinson anvil is less than 4" wide and I've never had an issue with working on it, and it's 200lb lighter.

Going for that once-in-a-lifetime purchase.... go for it.  Just understand what you're getting.

I have a Gladiator and the wide face is both good and bad. I wouldnt let loose of mine but I also feel I need to have a 150lb anvil with a narrow face next to it for operations better suited for it

the advantage of a double horn anvil is that you have some kind of variable face width because of the pyramidal horn, so a large face it's not such a problem like on the London pattern. ok, it's always good to have complementary anvils, as features and sizes...

that Nimba anvils are very similar to Italian pattern anvils: https://www.google.ro/search?q=incudine&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TDkHUq_hAu7c4QSpl4HYDA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=955

If you read up on the Nimba, they are an Italian pattern anvil. at least a couple of northwestern's take on one. This wont be a beginners purchase as I'll have several years before I can even think about pulling the trigger on one. I've got a hunk of metal that I'll be using as my beginner anvil so hopefully all the bigg mistakes will be made on that. I'm sure I'll end up with a medium sized anvil before I get the big guy. but for now it's nice to dream of a shiney new toy.... I mean tool.