I Forge Iron

I have a garage shop (2 car garage) and am looking at getting a tire hammer.

dose anyone have advice on how to install the power hammer? I am not sure how thick the concrete is in my garage.

would mounting it to a large plate work to keep it from walking?

thanks

A tire hammer is only going to have as much mass as you build into it. I have a 120lb air hammer that probably weighs in around 800lb and it walked a little, simple solution was to bolt it to the concrete.

Yes, your garage floor can accomodate the tire hammer. I installed one in my shop, it is in use frequently and we have not had any issues with the floor fracturing.

You will need a piece of steel plate upon which you bolt the hammer. Weld HT studs to the plate (E-6011). Plate should be larger than the hammers base (24 in x 24 in) plate so as to eliminate any movement rocking due to oscilation. @ 1 inch plate at 48 x 48 runs about 700 Lbs, estimate at .283 Lbs per cubic inch. Bigger is better but it also costs more unless you can find a drop at the at the yard. Also consider putting the assembly on a stall mat (1 inch high density pad used in horse stalls and sold at tractor Supply) this will substantially reduce the noise factor and protect the deck. A bead of silicone on the deck and the steel will prevent any lateral motion between the mat and the concrete. If you still have any noise issues you can also fill the hammer upright with sand.

Good luck.
Peter

post-3252-0-87129300-1337435524_thumb.jp

Most all of the above but I bolted my hammer through holes that were predrilled in the baseplate. Drill the holes all the way through the floor so when you ever have to move the hammer you simply drive the bolts through the floor and a little grout will finidh the hole like it was never there. I have my tire hammer on two pieces of indoor outdoor carpet fuzzy sides facing each other and it has been there for about 6 years or so. I also highly recommend you fill the column with sand whether or not you do any of the other things as it will makeit more stable and significantly reduce the noise. pour i full of sand and then pour some waste oil on top about a quart or so to keep the dust down and tighten the sand up. you will have to add sand after a couple months.

• 2 weeks later...

here is a product that will help you stop Any thing from walking or moving ( and No I do Not work for them ) Hiliti Co
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/page/module/product/prca_rangedetail.jsf?lang=en&nodeId=-61019

HVU Adhesive Capsule
HVA Capsule Adhesive Anchoring System 3.2.10
3.3.2 HSL-3 Heavy-duty Expansion Anchor

Here are 3 types of products that will keep your hammers PUT and Ancored where ya set them

And Yes I have used them !

Best Regards

Sam