I Forge Iron

Forge problem.

I pick out any good pieces of coke (from a a coal fire that is out)then shovel out the stuff in the firepot into a metal bucket and soak it in water and then toss it on the gravel driveway.

Fines left over get swept down the tuyere to the ash dump and dumped into a metal bucket and likewise.

Coal on the forge pan but not in the firepot get extinguished and left for next time.

If the stuff is cold cold you can just throw it in a plastic bag and add it to the garbage where I am at.

Thank-you--that definitely made sense. I had wondered myself if regular dumps would allow coal and ashes in bags, but I can't see why not. I've made quite a few coal fires in my forge, so I've got a good bit of coke to reuse. Thanks again.
Matt~

I rake the coal / coke away from the fire then shovel EVERYTHING out of the fire pot into a 5 gallon bucket of water. That is coal, coke, ash, clinker, fire, etc. Then I dump the down tube (ash etc) into the bucket of water. I visually inspect both the forge and twyere to see that it is clear and nothing is caught. Next day I remove the coke and coal from the bucket, (stir lightly with your hand and it will float) and spread it out to air day.

That now dry coal / coke is great for add to an existing fire when you do not want the smoke. It catches fire quickly and burns hot.

When the bucket gets full of ash and clinker, I give turn it on the side to drain. During the winter I use it on the drive way to melt the snow and give traction.

I do pretty much the same as Glenn. It all goes into a five gallon bucket of water once the fire's out. I let it and the forge cool off for a few hours.

I sort through the bucket, putting the coke and coal into the coke bucket, clinkers get picked and pitched. The fine stuff in the bottom of the bucket fills holes in the garden.

I've started saving the dry ash from the forge in a metal can. Once I have enough, I'll use it for annealing.

Just make absolutely sure it's out and cold if you haul it to the dump, little bits can stay smouldering a long long time. Dunking it in water is best and doesn't hurt the useable coal/coke at all.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have made a 2' b 2' frame out of 2 by 4s and covered it with 1/4" hardware cloth. This creates a screen that you can use to clean and separate the clinkers from the coke. After you have wet the coke/coal remnants down in a bucket, and the stuff has dried, you will spread some of it on the screen and the clinker will be easier to see as the clinker will likely rust a bit and the brown of the rust will be seen. Shaking the screen will sift out the ashes. Separate out the clinker and put the usable coal and coke in another bucket, repeat until everything is separated out.

On another note, cleaning out your forge after use can help prolong the life of your forge. Wetting the coal/coke and leaving the mess in the forge, if I am not mistaken, will leach acid onto the forge and hasten the corrosion process.