I Forge Iron

ill have a apprentice for a day

got this message on facade book today

Dear Joseph,

When I was researching blacksmithing with my son, I found your name as local to St. Mary's County.

My son is seven years old and homeschooled.

He's interested in blacksmithing.

I'm wondering if you or someone you know might be willing to show him around some equipment and teach him a little about the trade.

Thank you!

Any suggestions on what to use as an introduction?

For the last thirty years I have worked with Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts from that age up on all kinds of craft projects.

At that age and size, an "S" hook made from quarter inch square stock is about all they can handle. Cut a hand full of green switches to use as a pointer to show them where the next blow lands, and return the work to the fire often. Light hammers and someone else on the tongs are called for.

Child size canvas aprons and safety goggles are available at craft stores, work gloves at big box home stores. If they will not lay out the money for the PPE, they are not serious, and you are not interested.

Joe,

Very good on the farce book parody. At 7 years old the attention span is very small but the curiosity is strong. How about an orientation in the shop and some tool identification. Then try having the kids help out a bit in the shop so they can see and feel what happens there. Not sure how far down the road you can get with actual forging but the kids can see how the fire is built and the forge works. Start small, stress safety and make the kids feel comfortable.

Thanks for being a good parent and doing the research to get your child involved in something other than the computer or whatever passes for education these days.

That is not an apprentice. That is a student. They are treated differently as the focus is different.

1/4"sq stock for an S hook, a drive hook and perhaps a nail or two leaving time to rest between tasks is a fairly ambitious goal probably achievable only by trading heats with the student---you show them what to do and then next heat they attempt it and then the following heat you clean it up, etc.

I assume a parent will be there the whole time and that appropriate PPE is available.

I once worked a den of cub scouts though making weenie roasters at a den meeting and they had a great time---we did twisted 1/8" wire ones---made from election sign frames: Take a length and heat the middle and double it back on itself. Then heat a length and place one end in the vise sideways and let them twist it with appropriate tongs. (leaving a length untwisted at the bend to open up as the handle and a couple of inches at the open end to bend and taper for the tines. I use paraffin wax as a finish and they ended the day "testing them out".

Thomas, you are exactly correct. This is not an apprentice. I missed you when you were out. Welcome back!

Recently, I have found that threatening to charge them a fee scares off the unengaged. It also seems to scare off the google, facebook and twitter job prospects. After some thought, however, those never were job prospects.

thank you all for the advice. i had never tried to teach somone so young before so i didnt know where to start. now to figure out how to get him to actually reach my anvil XD lol

A wooden step will do the job nicely. Make it simple and big... don't need anybody accidentally stepping off.

Phil

A wooden step will do the job nicely. Make it simple and big... don't need anybody accidentally stepping off.

Phil

thats a good suggestion. i found some fairly large pavers left over from when i was a landscaper. i think they should work. if i have the kid coming back in the future i may make that step as a more permanent fixture.

these are great step stool for around the shop.

http://www.harborfreight.com/step-stool-working-platform-66911.html

As for working with students and home schooling. Safety orientation, make sure the come to the shop with proper clothing. then a hand out of tools and shop equipment is helpful for when they go home building a fire tending the fire, having them around the heat of a forge so they know what they are getting into. have them start with tapering bending and twisting. Have them assist you in punching and cutting or welding. then clean up; Sweeping the shop putting tools away so they relate to the whole day work. that is what I have done

Explain the goal of what they'll be making. To demonstrate the power of heat, get them to try working the metal cold and then show them the relative ease of working the same piece once it is heated.

That's bound to create a "wow" moment which might just bring the kid back for a second round.