I Forge Iron

old anvil with a history (dont they all)

I was at a friends this evening and took some pictures of his old anvil.I think it is a colonial anvil.not sure as im just a rookie. this anvil was passed down many generations(exact amount is unknown ) but the anvil was used or maybe even created at his families furnace. It was the Ormand-Washington furnace here in NC. believed to be the second oldest furnace in the nation. it was located near Bessemer city named after the fellow that created the Bessemer process. He tells stories of how his grandfather used to have mishaped cannon balls from the civil war laying around and used them as door stops. and he used to find them out back laying around and would play with them when he was a young boy. heres some pics i hope they turned out ok i took them with my cell phone.
post-23601-0-99751200-1336440427_thumb.j
post-23601-0-13258500-1336440500_thumb.j
post-23601-0-65196900-1336440464_thumb.j

Very old (1760-1830?) and extremely worn English block pattern anvil, made without a horn or pritchel hole. The hard steel face is worn thru in spots.

They were fairly common in this area and the rest of the south prior the War of Northern Aggression :rolleyes: , the blockades almost put Mousehole out of business due to lost revenue.

As for the cannon balls, well, this was the last Confederate naval stores depot, the Virginia works was relocated inland at the end of the railways the the Yankees did not wreck. The many iron ore furnaces, some dating back to the 1760's, in the surrounding area supported the Mecklenburg Ironworks (gold mining machinery maker) up until the Depression.

Very old (1760-1830?) and extremely worn English block pattern anvil, made without a horn or pritchel hole. The hard steel face is worn thru in spots.

They were fairly common in this area and the rest of the south prior the War of Northern Aggression :rolleyes: , the blockades almost put Mousehole out of business due to lost revenue.

As for the cannon balls, well, this was the last Confederate naval stores depot, the Virginia works was relocated inland at the end of the railways the the Yankees did not wreck. The many iron ore furnaces, some dating back to the 1760's, in the surrounding area supported the Mecklenburg Ironworks (gold mining machinery maker) up until the Depression.
I seem to remember the first shots were fired by the south.

"I seem to remember the first shots were fired by the south."

Really? You don't look that old in the picture. Or are you basing your opinion on history written by the winners? Always suspect in my view.

Would you be happier if I called it the "War Between the Yankees and the Americans"? How 'bout "The Recent Unpleasantness"? It was anything but civil.

It's a JOKE, hence the smiley face. Lighten up. Sheesh.

I got family who fought on both sides. But every one knows the civil war started at fort Sumter when South Carolina troops fired on the fort, before that it was all talk. I know you were joking but some people actually believe that stuff. The term "War of Northern aggression" is an inflammatory term I don't like to joke about a thing where over half a million Americans died or see it miss represented. This is the internet and these things will be up here forever and people will read what we both wrote.

well if the gov't doesn't get their act in order, I believe secession will be the norm rather than the exception. We are in great danger as a nation, the lack of bullets flying just means it's early yet. I'm gonna shoot anvils myself, great artillary!

It's a historical term well documented as used in the south to this present day by certain reactionary people---To ignore it is to deny history. Remember that "Those who do not learn from History are doomed to repeat it" (paraphrased as it's final exam week over at the Uni...)

BTW my great grandmother was married to a Civil War Veteran, He was a "drummer Boy" and so quite young during the war and married a young lady when he was quite old and she lived till after I was born so I have a quite short "trail" from now till then. I bear one of his names, as does my Father.