I Forge Iron

My new Anvil

Very nice anvil indeed!

But I don't like the suspension for it---in a crash situation those straps will not hold---or if they do the attachment points to the truck may not! After seeing several examples of anvils sliding forward under unexpected fast stops, I make it a practice to snug them up against the front wall of the pickup box, often with a piece of wood behind them to distribute the force in case of an "unplanned stop". I have also stopped putting my small anvil on the passenger seat floorboards and stow long lengths of steel either on the passenger side if nobody is riding with me or in the center if both seats are occupied.

(Also snugging the anvils up to the front wall helps shift the load balance forward...)

Good point tom, I forgot to bring anything to put between the bulkead and the anvil. I hooked it low and took it easy. Hopefully I dont have to move it to often, its a real handful to cart around!

A cautionary tale:

I once had an old phone company van---1968---that had a pickup rear end in in my mechanic said and I used it for hauling a lot of stuff. Once I was moving a LG for a friend in it. Had laid it down and "rolled it in" on the circular stuff on the top---*gently* so as to not damage anything.

Anyway I closed the back doors and started down the steep gravel road on the mountain---AR had gravel state highways back then---probably still does.

I was taking it easy and slow when a farmer pulled right out in front of my van in granny gears. I stood on the brakes and was skidding along fine behind him but he was starting to speed up a bit---perhaps he had looked in the rear view mirror and saw the old van with dust a-flying from the wheels. But things were looking fairly good and my heart was was thinking about slowing down when I noticed that my seat was pushing me forward onto the steering wheel.

Not only had the van lost traction and started skidding the LG had "rolled/skid" forward in the van and was just nudging the driver's seat. Nearly a brown pants moment and when I got the van stopped I went back and tied off the LG as best I could (van still had all the equipment mount points)

I like to think I have smartened up over the years---or at least killed off all the slow and stupid brain cells and now I know that my driving is only 1/2 of the situation---other folks driving is the other 1/2. (when I took my large screwpress home in my small PU, I noticed that *nobody* got near my truck or cut in front of me even though I was going slow across town. I guess that 7' tall piece of cast iron in that small PU gave them the stink eye so to speak...)

As I recall last time I went out visiting the kin folk and checking up on my land there we still found one or two that were gravel up in the hills.

Most everyone in Cedarville (up HW 59 out of Fort Smith) is either related to me or has been friends of the family for 100 years or so.

Good story Stewart! When I bought my 165# PW at a yard sale the elderly guys asked me how I was going to get it out to the car. I picked it up and carried it over and my wife to be overheard one tell the other "He's more of a man than he looks!"

Both the anvil and the comment made my day.