I Forge Iron

Cheap Anvil- Worth a go, or beyond repair?

I'm looking to buy a starter's anvil for pretty light work. I'm currently using an improvised stake anvil which I fitted into a log, and although it has a large, flat surface, it's not nearly as sturdy as I would like and absorbs most of the hammer blow. The main reason I want to upgrade is because I'm finding myself in need of a hardy hole for a lot of the work I'm doing. I've been scrounging everywhere possible but I haven't been able to find one, I'd be willing to spend up to £80 if I had to, but the goal is to get it as cheap as possible. I'm not looking for anything branded, just a flat steel surface with a hardy hole and a horn.

I've scoured eBay but most are nice anvils that are way out of my price range or are too far away. Doesn't help that I have to convince my parents to come with me to pick it up! I've spotted what looks like an old wreck of an anvil, and probably is just that. It's as rusty as hell which may be putting people off. What I want to know is if there is any potential in restoring it to a decent condition? The face seems flat enough, would grinding suffice or would you say this was pitted beyond repair? At the price it is going for, I would hardly care if it was cast iron!

Overall, what do you think? Worth buying it cheap to try and restore it, or is this as knackered as it looks? How much would you be willing to pay for it?

Here's a picture:

exFFR.png

No idea on weight, but it is described as 34" long, 15" high and 6" wide. A little big for my needs, but I'm sure I'll manage!

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping that others will be put off from the condition! How much would you be willing to spend on it? Judging by the size it would be worth a lot purely in scrap value!

I think iron/steel is (was?) going for about £100 a ton, so no, not really.
As to what it's worth (I'm presuming you're in the UK); £75?

Grinding? Sanding? Not me! The best way to handle the rust is with a wire wheel and never mind about the pits on the face, just start to work the face with hot iron and a hammer, nothing heals the pits faster than hot forging. Unless they are big enough and deep enough to drop a marble into don't mind the pits they will work out over time. Looks like a pretty good anvil and I've seen a lot worse turn out some really beautiful work, it's more the skill of the smith than the condition of the anvil. If you are a lack luster smith no matter how good your tools are you will still turn out lack luster work.

Buy it! Get a wire wheel cup on your grinder, brush it off and rub it down with some wax or oil and it will look like a looker.

The horn has some excess wear on it like someone turned a lot of rings or U's of a particular size. Kinda odd, but not any problem.

Phil

Buy it! Get a wire wheel cup on your grinder, brush it off and rub it down with some wax or oil and it will look like a looker.

The horn has some excess wear on it like someone turned a lot of rings or U's of a particular size. Kinda odd, but not any problem.

Phil

That is an English style farriers anvil note the lack of cutting table at the base of the horn. There is one shown on pace 95 of "Mousehole forge" by Richard Postman there is a reprint from an ad dated 1906 showing that style of anvil. The horn is worn from shaping many shoes. The proportions are exactly the same.

That is an English style farriers anvil note the lack of cutting table at the base of the horn. There is one shown on pace 95 of "Mousehole forge" by Richard Postman there is a reprint from an ad dated 1906 showing that style of anvil. The horn is worn from shaping many shoes. The proportions are exactly the same.

OK, maybe not so odd. Still, not a problem and the only obvious "defect" on it.

Phil

Nothing wrong with it at all ! a wire brush in a grinder, and a wipe of oil it will look different again !

Price ? If I wanted to buy it (im not buying at the moment) a snipe at a shade over £100/ would probably see it won. Ive bought a few dozen of ebay in the UK last year, and you generally need to pay 75p + a kilo..... that one looks around 3 cwt.

I dont know what prices are doing at the moment (to much 'proper' work on to buy them and arrange the collection), they seem to ebb and flow a bit. Sometimes US anvil buyers push the price up when putting a container together. Sometimes very average anvils go high on price, im assuming when 2 people 'local' to the seller want it.

If you want it bid a sensible amount in the last seconds. Of all the anvils I have bought there has never been a useable one that is bargain cheap (ie, less than £80). I have occasionally got one for £50 by being very very quick when someone puts a 'buy it now' price on them.

To amend my "what's it worth" estimation of £75 to be more in line with with John N's wise words, I think it could be had from old matey down the road for £50-75 (or a tenner). If I needed an anvil, though, I would, and have, bought them on ebay for between £80-120.

That is of course the irony of ebay, you end up paying more for something you very likely don't see before hand.

My worst ebay purchase was a practically new 3cwt JB anvil that was pullulating with casting flaws. The anvil in your picture looks like a good one, though. I've owned a few of that type (also JB?) and they've all been well made.

Grinding? Sanding? Not me! The best way to handle the rust is with a wire wheel and never mind about the pits on the face, just start to work the face with hot iron and a hammer, nothing heals the pits faster than hot forging. Unless they are big enough and deep enough to drop a marble into don't mind the pits they will work out over time. Looks like a pretty good anvil and I've seen a lot worse turn out some really beautiful work, it's more the skill of the smith than the condition of the anvil. If you are a lack luster smith no matter how good your tools are you will still turn out lack luster work.

sandblast it and save the wear and tear that tells its story. you might discovery markings you never seen from its origin to let you know more of it. its what i learned from mine

I had my first anvil sand blasted, nearly cried when I saw it - a hundred years of pattination removed in seconds.

It did show the construction of the anvil nicely though, you could clearly see where the feet and horn were forge welded on as seperate pieces!