I Forge Iron

Thoughts on re-conditioning a power hammer spring

I am in the process of rebuilding a Commonsense power hammer and it looks like the spring is pretty much flattened out. The adjustment was all the way in when I tore it down.
I am thinking about heating it and stretching it out some. Has anyone done this?

I think that idea is pretty bad. Springs ware out. After so many years they start to micro crack and will eventually break. Just like any tool they have a life span. Just take some good measurements of the spring and estimate the size before it was worn out and buy a brand new spring. Do not wast time with old shot springs, trying to reshape them is just asking for things to break and damage the hammer or yourself. BUY A NEW SPRING if the old one is worn out.

A new spring will also most likely cost less than 100 shipped to your door. Pretty cheep for something that is so important for a expensive piece of equipment.

If he was talking about making a new leaf spring for something like a leg vise I would say make one by hand no problem. A bad failure is much less likely to hert the tool or yourself under that condition. A compression spring that is worked under power by a 1 to 5 horse motor that is right next to your face is much more dangerous if it fails.

If you can show a place that I can buy a new spring for around $100 I will call them now. I talked to Sid @ Little Giant yesterday, he has one that is close to what I have, the wire size is a little heavier. His price is around $250 with shipping.
Does anyone know of a shop that can make one of these springs?

The spring in its current condition is 7 inches long, 3.6 inches outside dia. 2.15 inches inside dia and it is .75 wire dia. There are 8 coils. I think 8 inches in length should be about right for a new spring

Clinton, I would google spring manufacturers it Calif. and call a few you might be surprised as to how inexpensive things can be!
here you could have a set of leaf springs made up to suit a 1200 ton trailer made up for $100.

Good luck Ian

I am in the process of rebuilding a Commonsense power hammer and it looks like the spring is pretty much flattened out. The adjustment was all the way in when I tore it down.
I am thinking about heating it and stretching it out some. Has anyone done this?

It seems like not too long ago Hollis (HWooldridge) mentioned that he had made a new spring for a 50lb? LG out of A36 and that it was still going strong after several years. I looked around but could not find that post but maybe Hollis will see this and comment? Maybe you could send him a private mail?

It seems like not too long ago Hollis (HWooldridge) mentioned that he had made a new spring for a 50lb? LG out of A36 and that it was still going strong after several years. I looked around but could not find that post but maybe Hollis will see this and comment? Maybe you could send him a private mail?

I searched for that thread yesterday, and the added information does not help me find it. My google-fu feels weak.

Phil

It looks like I will be getting the spring from Sid @ Little Giant. The only Quote that I have received is for $561.91 a little more the the $100 range. Out of the 4 requests that I sent out I got 2 responses, one item orders do not seem do-able