I Forge Iron

pictures...forging 2-inch 4140

I snapped these pictures while forging out 4-inches of some 2-inch solid square 4140. That's the biggest stock I've ever heated or hammered. It took about 10 minutes to heat it up the first time. I'm thinning the stock down to make some swage tools for the new treadle hammer, as well as some spring tennon swages
Anyway thought y'all would enjoy. The pictures are from working under the Kinyon air hammer. I don't have any taper dies for the tire hammer yet.

DSC04195.jpg

DSC04196.jpg

Not sure what happened here.
DSC04201.jpg

DSC04202.jpg

DSC04204.jpg

DSC04207.jpg

DSC04209.jpg

And here I am.......uhhhhh not really sure there are words to explain!
DSC04210.jpg

No need to explain you obviously need a hammer with more throw so your head *will* fit between the dies. Perhaps a sow block model?

In the meantime just handing your apprentice a sledge and telling him "when I nod my head you *hit* *it*!" should work fine.

No need to explain you obviously need a hammer with more throw so your head *will* fit between the dies. Perhaps a sow block model? In the meantime just handing your apprentice a sledge and telling him "when I nod my head you *hit* *it*!" should work fine.

LOL Yeah the tire hammer doesn't have a lot of space between the dies....tools have to be kept short. My other hammer has more room and I'll probably use that one for all of the tooling.

Apprentice......hmmmm well I need to get enough work to keep my busy all the time before I take on one of those! LOL