I Forge Iron

Yippee!! My new swage block

2Tim215

Very nice. What does the flip side look like ? Looks like the holes go through which would mean no spoon or bowl form depressions. However you might check out to see if the smaller squre holes are tapered to receive tinners stakes. I have one that has tapered holes. It is a favorite of mine.

Very nice. What does the flip side look like ? Looks like the holes go through which would mean no spoon or bowl form depressions. However you might check out to see if the smaller squre holes are tapered to receive tinners stakes. I have one that has tapered holes. It is a favorite of mine.

None tapered i'm afraid but it's more for the fact that I have one now than for being used - though once the stand is built it will start working again instead of rusting away or being cut up for scrap.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam; perhaps they didn't want a sharp inside corner as it would be a stress concentrator and so they used a rounded top swage instead? Just a wild guess; but with real wrought iron they seemed to be a bit more careful with not leaving marks on it for using items---rounding of anvil edges, welding rather than punching, etc.

Almost all of the old forged work they did what they could to take the hammer marks out. By using swages, top and bottom and by using flatters, mostly done with a striker. Yet they didn't go out of the way to cover up forge welds.

They were very keen to remove marks. I have it in my mind that there was a blacksmith in England who exhibited horse shoes 'without any hammer marks' at the 1851 Great Exhibition. But I am not sure if this is an urban myth or not, because I have just tried a web-search and found nothing. Hmm...