I Forge Iron

Bozo's on the Bus....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, I don't have much of an arts education. I have some college but most of my time I was studying cutting or welding of metals and earning a living at it. I was always more the neanderthal than the beatnik so my appreciation for fine art has been lacking. It wasn't until later in life that my appreciation of art grew. And it was mostly by seeing something that I couldn't do. Something that set me to wondering how the heck did they do that? I suppose the reason I don't appreciate the "voice of fire" is precisely because I can't see all the thought that went into it. I can't see the work. The art that really lights my fire is the stuff I can't do. I've tried fusing glass to metal but haven't had much luck. Everyone says you need to do it in an oven but I've seen some work done that was too big to have been done in an oven. That's the kind of stuff I just have to sit back and go "That's really amazing". Or something that's assembled with no visible fasteners kind of like those gates that Rory May of the dragonsforge made. Of course some things are just stupendous due to their immense size like the "aileron" sculpture. But in all those I can see the work involved. In "voice of fire" I can't, so I don't have a proper appreciation of it. I think I could duplicate it but convincing someone to pay me for it? doubtful. I mean someone must have looked at the "voice of fire" and said "Yes, thats exactly what we were after". then again just because someone buys it doesn't make it art.
I went through a gallery just last weekend with some astounding art. Way beyond anything I could produce. at least in a reasonable amount of time. perhaps thats what art is, something at the next level. Higher quality than the average craftsman can do. I like to think I'm an artist or at least an aspiring one but perhaps I'm just a craftsman. Perhaps art is something which is an example of the state of the craft. Something other artisans can only aspire to.

Somewhere I once read something along these lines

....the labourer uses his hands, the craftsman, his hands and his mind, the artist, his hands, his mind and his heart. I reckon. you are well on the way to being an artist.

I find accomplishing tasks, creative forms, chores, and just work in general as the only therapeutic escape. The action of doing is my art. I'm able to manipulate myself and my tangible world, while manipulating and impacting all other things in life remain an exercise in futility.

That really pegs it for me. I'd surely go insane if I didn't have a creative outlet for my crazy energy (IFI included). Getting paid for it on occasion helps with deal with the futility but that's not really what it's about........

I know one thing for sure. Someone needs to teach me the "art" of being nice to people. When it comes to being polite, I am an impressionist

Honesty is a bidirectional quality. If it's quipped, it's considered satirical brutality. If it's convenient and accompanied by a spoonful of sugar you're a saint.

- it's not always what you say, it's how you say it... (never sunk in with me)

Defining art is like peeing into a hurricane. Franz Boas, the seminal anthropologist, in "Primitive Art" says that "man always elaborates beyond necessity." In some languages, there is no word for "art."

I thought that Randy's initial post was about becoming one of the small percentage who are not bozos, who have found a niche where excitement and immersion in work gets them off the bus or allows them to become the driver. Pulsepush and macbruce were getting close to my thinking. There is process and there is product. Put them both together and you get project. Personally, I am more process oriented than product oriented. It's a continuum.

" I am more process oriented than product oriented. " Ok hope this ain't a hijack....

Frank, that is a mouthful indeed. When you showed us your scarfing method, it took a while for me to get my head around it (hence the need for the calls). Once we ( on the bus) develop process in given areas, we use the process to build (or create if you please). Once practiced, process becomes habit or skill (like tying your shoes). This may indeed become like music (classic, jazz. rock) and is reflected in our work.

I guess I cannot ingest sugar, being a diabetic......this is why I quip, I lack "sugar"

Well, Sometimes getting quippy is an early warning for me to check my BG level. Usually though I'm just sweet enough I need a shot.
Then again there are worse things than being diabetic, the life support weren't no trouble. (from "Jeremiah Johnson)

Frosty the Lucky.

Ten Hammers. I told a guy that some of the forging processes become non cognitive, and he said, "And ya' won't hafta' think about 'em much either?"

About Art. John Neary aka Cracked Anvil aka Miles Undercut, flopped a cliché for us. "I know about art, but I don't know what I like."

Uri Hofi demoed in my shop a few years ago, and he shared with me, "I have sugar." He and I are age mates, mid 70's. As we all know, the man takes care of himself, and he hustles.