I Forge Iron

G'day Mate

bazron

My suggestion is to find a fuel source and build the forge using that type fuel.

For solid fuels
BP0238 Simple Side Blast 55 Forge would be my first suggestion for a solid fuel forge.
BP0133 The 55 Forge would be a second suggestion.

The brake drums work, but there is no area around the fire to store any additional fuel. Both forges above will run on raw wood, charcoal, coal, etc.

another aussie! onya.
charcoal is heaps good, but dependin where ya are, coal might be right next to the railway line.... central qld.
start out simple, and work it out as ya go along, whats yer anvil?
i started with a plow disk on legs with a bit of railway iron.
initially my air source was a peice of pipe i blew into.. got a bit dizzy.... got me mate to blow the pipe while i forged. that worked better!!! then i got a handcrank blower.. much better, havent looked back! but i have looked forward, and continue to do so,, even after finishing my apprenticeship 3 years ago, and continuing to learn! have fun and keep us posted on yer progress.
woody.

another aussie! onya.
charcoal is heaps good, but dependin where ya are, coal might be right next to the railway line.... central qld.
start out simple, and work it out as ya go along, whats yer anvil?
i started with a plow disk on legs with a bit of railway iron.
initially my air source was a peice of pipe i blew into.. got a bit dizzy.... got me mate to blow the pipe while i forged. that worked better!!! then i got a handcrank blower.. much better, havent looked back! but i have looked forward, and continue to do so,, even after finishing my apprenticeship 3 years ago, and continuing to learn! have fun and keep us posted on yer progress.
woody.

haha yer ive got the old railway iron too. i cant seem to find coal for sale near by me but the local farrier uses coke.
im meeting up with the farrier this weekend to descuss a possible job with them. (computer job).
so might have to ask them where they get it...

cheers for the reply.

Aaron.

Welcome to IFI, bazron. Once you get started you will find changes that you want to make. But the main thing is to get started. You will get a lot of ideas that you can incorporate into your smithy. It's a never ending process. Have fun with it. I look forward to seeing your progress. :)

I've alread had afew ideas on how id like to set it up, ive seen a few good set ups online. so i might find ill be tinkering with it abit for a while.
i hope to be up and going by this weekend. started collecting metal afew days a go, got a good pile now.

Beers n Cheers

Aaron.

Welcome aboard Aaron, glad to have ya.

Keep your plans flexible to start, the more you learn the more you'll know about how YOU want to set up. Lots of guys have solid ideas of what they want before they know what they need.

Like Glenn says, design your forge around the available fuel, then design it for the work you want to do. (Okay, the second part is me but you get the idea.)

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...