I Forge Iron

The hole punch

The blacksmith hole punch is an easy tool to make and a handy tool to have. Coil spring from cars make an excellent material that is cheap, easy to get, and pretty forgiving. The hole punch is basically a long piece of tool steel (whether coil spring or whatever,) with a short taper on the end.
With coil spring, I usually go with a bronze temper color on the tip.

DSC04030.jpg

DSC04032.jpg

Here is a 10 minute video showing some different styles of punches and how to use a hole punch. Keep in mind that, while I'm only showing round punches, they can be round or square or any shape in-between.

hey fiery - cool video, like your hardy hole punch plate - i need that, and your great third hand move :) also, i have to say, make more videos, your voice is a PLEASURE to us english folk :) !!

Well my anvil is a bit high, so I got to stand on me tippy-toes to use my third hand! :) However, for regular forge work my anvil height is perfect. :(

More videos are coming. I've been getting over a cold and currently don't have much of a voice. However, when I'm back to norm, I'm hoping to shoot videos for the center-punch. slitting chisel, splitting chisel, drift, fuller, and maybe some other stuff!

As far as my voice being a "pleasure" to English folk, I must confess I've no clue as to why. But I am curious so please enlighten me! :D

Good video Dave. Where did you get the hammer, I have one just like it.

Vic.

LOL! The hammer is just an old Lowes, 2.5 pound cross pien hammer. I knocked the handle out of it and put a wooden handle in it's place. I've been using it since day one, six years ago.

Thanks for the complements.....more videos in a week or two!

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The anvil is hard steel as well as the punch. A punch plate is soft steel. If you contact the anvil with your hole punch you will probably damage either the hole punch or the prichel hole. If you contact the punch plate with the hole punch, you might ding the plate but not the punch. The plate is sacrificial mild steel and saves your holes.

I would revise the video to have a steep ground pointed end, instead of flat. The steep ground point, punches much better.