I Forge Iron

Back in the Groove....ish!

Hello!

So, this past weekend I went out to Bad Creek Blacksmith's place, and it was awesome. I arrived Friday night at around 9pm, expecting to just head to bed. Paul was in the shop, so I knocked on the door. The first words out of his mouth after a handshake and hello was "Are you ready to get started?"

I was caught off-guard, but very eager! Went and changed into my stuff and we started. The biggest problem is that I have -nooooo- mechanical knowledge. When I tell people that, they assume that I mean no "advanced" mechanical knowledge. Let me put it this way- the first time I ever used a power drill was this past weekend. I used a screwdriver for the first time a month ago, when I had to for my job. When I say -NO- mechanical knowledge, that's exactly what I mean.
One of the first things you're supposed to learn is drawing out, and/or beating from square to round. Now, I'd like to think that I'm a smart guy. If you start with square, it's a matter of beating it on the corners, turning ninety degrees and beating it again, then starting to round it out. However, while I can understand this process, I couldn't translate the words to an actual movement.

It was INCREDIBLY helpful to have Paul there, who showed me (in slow-motion), how to actually round. It has been said over and over, and I'll say it again- books and videos only go so far. Having someone there to answer when you cry out, "Well, how the heck did this end up like THIS?!" is a godsend.
That was Friday night. Saturday shall be officially known as "Hook Day". My first few attempts were failures- I ended up drawing out the metal so thin that I split it like frizzy hair... learning how NOT to do that was another lesson. By mid-day (we'd started around 7, if memory serves), I turned out a couple passable hooks, and I was told to use my imagination. That wasn't good... I'd never been asked to do that before! The last time I tried to use my imagination was third grade, and I failed art! Well, with the help of Paul and one of his friends, I made this quirky double-hook thing, and that was that. I also learned how to use a jig, and how to bend around the horn.

Sunday, we started early again- 6:30 or 7. I did some more experimenting, and I did some of the unfolding crosses. After that, I learned how to forge weld- pretty reliably, too! I was shown a trick, and managed to forge-weld the barbecue fork on my first attempt! After that, I turned to the slightly misshapen horseshoe heart you see. This was after a failure or two- this project required a lot of visualization- knowing what something was going to look like before you hammered it, and that is an area where I obviously need some work. However, when I presented it to my wife for Valentine's Day, she treated it like it was perfectly constructed out of solid platinum, so I still count that as a mark in the 'win' category. :)

Well, I'm sure I'm missing some things, but that was 90% of my weekend! See the pictures attached for two of me and one of what I brought home!

post-2973-0-24015300-1329446032_thumb.jp

post-2973-0-53970900-1329446052_thumb.jp

post-2973-0-33198200-1329446070_thumb.jp

We had a great weekend, I know it was great because after Dallas left I crashed. Dallas and I met on IFI thats why it is important to put where your from in your profile. He lives 1 1/2 hours away and had to stay here but no big deal. Dallas is welcome back any time and the first time at my house your a guest the second time your on your own. Every Saturday my friend comes over and we work in the shop and anyone else that stops in, we have a good time.

Havn't taken any pictures yet, it seems that some times we don't get done what is planned for the day. We were making the sliegh bells and they were cut out bigger than the pattern so the jig was the wrong size. Making new jig and we got an order for 100 hooks made out of 1/2" dia. rod that he is providing. So keeping busy and right now I need to get out to the shop. Paul

Dallas, Great first weekend. Sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot of the basics. Glad to see that you are well on your way. Enjoy the ride! Mark <><

Thanks! I'll try to enjoy it, though living in an apartment complex just makes me froth at the mouth re: my inability to do anything where I live! :)

Dallas, sounds like you had fun while learning - great start!

Fun and learning is always the best combo!

Great Job! better watch out it is a bit addictive! -L-

A bit..... yeah, right!

how cool! lovely that your friend will teach you! keep it up now your started.... :)

Yes, I am very much in his debt- I've looked up prices to train with smiths... I realize that they charge even less than what their time is worth, but man.... that doesn't mean it's affordable to me!

thats fab - did not realise you guys met on here - what a great advert :) that seems like a fab deal bad creek - and a great opportunity to whoever is in driving distance. see! people are nice! :)

Yep, we met on here! I think I was whining in chat one day about the closest person being Steve sells (~180 miles away), and the next thing I know there's a PM!

Another one lured to the dark side---the Emperor will be *pleased*! I had one student who had never held a hammer before as well---his parents wanted him to be a rabbi---he's selling knives on-line these days...Takes a bit more practice to catch up; but if you want to you will!

I'm noticing the catch up! There has been quite a few times where Steve (when I was up there) and recently Bad Creek had to back up because they whizzed through something that apparently to anyone with the sense to hammer in a nail was obvious, but to me... not so much.