I Forge Iron

fisher #1 chain vise

to many vises

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, Nice vise.
A friend of mine have a N 6 fisher double screw vise but without chain. Where can hi buy that chain?
Thank you very much.

I will check my #6 and try to count the number of links and see if they have their size listed. Many agricultural supply place 'might' have the chain. I am sure that it is available. Might take an internet search. I will repost this evening with the information.

I will check my #6 and try to count the number of links and see if they have their size listed. Many agricultural supply place 'might' have the chain. I am sure that it is available. Might take an internet search. I will repost this evening with the information.

I checked my #6 and here is what I can find:

27 links
Size 42

I would suggest using the 42 number in your search of conveyer type chain. These link or unlink by rotating one link and hammering it apart. It is a bit tricky to get the chain onto the gears on the vise. I have experimented with various methods and have not found the 'easy' method yet.

I hope this is helpful.

Sorry, if this is off track but I found a #4 for sale on ebay that i thought I would throw out to the crowd.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-No-4-FISHER-NORRIS-POST-VISE-Blacksmith-Anvil-/300677634521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601c899d9

It is missing the leg but seems okay otherwise. I remember reading a thread on replacing or repairing a leg on the fisher vises but can't find it now. Anyone want to weigh in on it? I am tempted but am curious what the reserve is on this. I need to finish getting my new shop together first and worry about the tools inside later.

Brian Pierson