I Forge Iron

new guy from ohio

oof

i discovered this site a while ago and tried to join.....that's when i found out i had discovered previously, already joined and forgotten about it...lol( a.d.d. it's not just for kids)
so after lurking anew, i figure it's time for a hello and a few pics.
i've always had an interest in smithing, and tinkered with it in the past, but never had time or space to get serious about it. i finally finished an addition to the shop that alows me to do more hot work without worrying about fire hazard as much :rolleyes:
i built a coal forge out of a brake drum, but i used a drum from a dump truck so it was really too deep to be of any use for forging. i came across a post somewhere that suggested using bricks to raise the grate, but that was after i finished my oil forge. the coal forge is resting out in the snow now in the pile of mifit toys waiting for me to use it again or for rudolf to rescue it.
post-13421-0-06577500-1329158555_thumb.jpost-13421-0-67470600-1329158899_thumb.j
the oil forge is set up on a swivel so i can swing it out into the open doorway or shove it against the wall for storage.
my first project was a knife for dad for christmas. i've done a few stock removal knives in the past but never forged one so...
post-13421-0-50318900-1329159491_thumb.jpost-13421-0-09022200-1329159537_thumb.jpost-13421-0-45898600-1329159786_thumb.j
i didn't have much time to finish it so there were a few imperfections i wasn't happy with.
i made a pair of tongs out of rebar...more out of necessity than anything else. they are ugly as sin, but work much better on round or square stock than my flat tongs did. plus i no longer have to practice my ninja skills by dodging hot flying metal when it squirts out of my grip.
post-13421-0-43032500-1329160969_thumb.j
a few more.
post-13421-0-62717500-1329161297_thumb.jpost-13421-0-05270700-1329161358_thumb.jpost-13421-0-67215200-1329161407_thumb.j
hope i didn't bore everyone to death.
mark

Welcome aboard Mark, glad to have ya!

A lot of us got into smithing for the sheer fun of playing with fire and having our way with iron and steel.

As part of my pyrophilia I like serious fire, as in really HOT controlled burns, not forests, large buildings, etc. A good functioning blue flame oil burner is a desirable item but not too common. Would you mind sharing your design, construction, tuning, etc. details?

Oh yeah, pics, please include pics, we LOVE pics.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome! That stuff doesn't make ME bored! Where in Ohio are you?
your tongs don't need to look like a model as long as they work- that's what makes them beautiful. I really like that you're not just into bladesmithing, too. I like the fork! All of your work is really well done! I can't wait to hear more about your smithing! keep us posted!

thanks everyone,
frosty, the burner is a siphon nozzle out of a torpedo heater. still playing with fine tuning, getting the oil to the right consistency. i thinned my oil a little too much on the last batch and it gave me fits 'til i figured it out. then it got hotter than i'd had it yet. the fire brick in the bottom got shiny and oozy on the surface, and the flame was hard to look at. really gave me a warm snuggly feeling. :D i'll post some build pics.
ridgewayforge, i'm just a little northeast of columbus, i've always had a love for blade making, but would describe myself as an artist. i'm glad you like the fork it was my first try. they were both made from a piece of rebar.
mark

• 3 weeks later...

dallas, i'm in johnstown.straight shot up 71.
thanks david.
thomas, i checked both sites for the groups you mentioned. the mob hasn't posted a new schedule yet. i plan on calling them.
mark

One of the Motto's of the MOB was "Were So Disorganized, It's a CRIME" It fell apart a bit after I left but there are some good people there if you can find them.

SOFA is just SOFA---one of the truly great ABANA affiliates and well worth carpooling to attend when possible.

As I recall I bought my champion powerhammer near Johnstown...