I Forge Iron

Diamondback -contact ? & opinion on size

mfm22

I've tried contacting thru email and phone last week no answer.

Maybe they are vacationing ?

I'm trying to decide which size to go with economy one or 2 burner

or Knife maker 1 or 2 burner .. I'm starting out and would like to make some tools and knives .

It would be nice to eventually forge Damascus blades

2 burner makes sense ... I'll go over the specs I think the knofe makers have better insulation material / easy to change.
Any issues running one burner on a 2 burner forge . I thought I read something about a chimney effect ...not good to do ??

I started with the 3 burner blacksmiths forge and have never been sorry. The more I do this the larger pieces I find myself attempting and I find my self thinking I may need to build a larger forge. So I wouldn't start out to small. Only issue I've had is the small 20 lb grill bottles kept freezing up. I contacted diamond backand took there advice and now use a 100 lb bottle and have no problems

I went with the two burner blacksmiths model and am glad because it has the hinged side door on it. No matter what one you go with make sure to have or get some extra fire brick. They are nice to set the forge on and use to close off an opening if you need to. They also work for stock rest off an opening. On my two burner I can have two smiths working out of it. I am only running at five psi.

I also have their two burner blacksmith model and although I find it too large for most of the things i work on I am glad to have the extra room for those things I do "go big" on.. Also it does allow two smiths to use opposite sides or even more people if you have the room for anvils. I don't know if it's right but I reamed out the jets a little and made them slightly larger and I can run my forge at very low PSI, 1 or 2 when it's fully heated..

I own the two burner blacksmiths model as well. I couldn't be happier. Just me in my shop. A hobbiest. But I love how simple it is to set up and how easy it is to use. I block off the "back" side of the forge with fire bricks and just use one door. I run about 5-7 psi for regular forging and bump it up to 10 psi when I attempt a forge weld. A 30 lb. tank lasts me 4-5 days running about 4-5 hours a session.

Diamondback Ironworks Forge
I bought the “Metal Artist 2-burner Forge” and the Idler Valve Kit

I know that sometime Dennis has to take business trips, and at times I had a hard time reaching him at first. But I found out that it was well worth the effort.
He will work with you and advise you as necessary.

Dennis advertises that the Metal Artist Forges are perfect for the Artist and Sculptor. I would agree!
The unrestricted design allows complete access to the firebox.

But understand there is a trade-off for that kind of access.
It is a decrease in efficiency. But you are the one who can control its use.

Down-side: I also agree that it would use a little more fuel than the Blacksmith models when it is fully opened up on all three sides.

Up-side: The advantage is that you can use it for most sizes and shapes that you cannot forge with a closed in style.

Without being able to open a forge up, you are restricted in the size of material you can forge.
Because you are able to fit a piece of stock that is larger, or takes up more room due to design (such as forged bends etc.) in it, you can still keep forging and are not limited to a small opening.

I love mine!

I have the knifemaker's 2 burner and it's fantastic to use. Once it's hot, you can actually run it at 5psi and the idler valve closed, hammering 5160 (flat stock) all day long (ok 4 hours, that's as long as I have had it lit at a stretch. I use a 25lbs bottle for now and after 4 hours, there is ice on the outside of the bottle; no drop in pressure though.

Dennis gets behind on the emails, but give him a few days and he is more then willing to help you.

• 10 months later...

I purchased the two burner artist forge and was very happy....initially. I didn't use it everyday, but when I do I will use it for 6-8 hours straight about 2-3 times per month. After some time it started to bend the opening closed from the heat and burn up the sheet metal around the frame. A friend also had the 3 burner with side access and his frame bent as well.  Finally I just removed the burner plate and burners and stack them on bricks for my forge. Now I have my friends 3 burner top plate and burners. Time to build a 5 burner forge and do some metal inflation!