I Forge Iron

Made an off-set angle bender for the flypress

Grundsau

I needed a solution to quickly make repetitive cold 90 degree angle bends in doubled 1/4" and 5/16" round stock.
Saw this design elsewhere on the web and decided to make one for my P5 press.
It really works,

You can lower the top tool down to the 1/4" round stock, spin the flywheel and it bends with ease.
The 5/16" round stock needs a little more oomph.

I previously used a torch and jig to make these bends and will save on gas and time with the flypress.

Allen

post-105-0-52937300-1328830891_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-62613000-1328830893_thumb.jpg

Hey Randy, are you going to PABA meeting tomorrow?

Phil, good idea about the fence but I already have this heavy "key" that acts as a stop for the material.
Looks like a shear key for some kind of heavy machinery.

Have to figure out how to tighten up the ram adjustment.
There is some small play in the ram when lowering it which causes the material to roll a bit.

Allen

post-105-0-90403200-1328921301_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-99815200-1328921302_thumb.jpg

post-105-0-11028400-1328921304_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Grundsau: Or anybody else..I see your brake extends out from your press quite a bit. I need to bend some 5/16 by almost 3/4 the hard way in a radius to match the top of a fifty gallon drum. It goes about half way around the lid. I need to maybe weld some smaller angle iron to my jig to keep the metal going the hard way??? HELP!!!!

I made a jig for my flypress when I had one for bending flat bar the hard way. I took 2 pieces of 3/8" x2x3 angle iron I drilled holes through the wider flange. I then made two pieces of flatbar the thickness of the bar I wanted to bend with holes in them to match the ones in the angle iron and a radius on the end so the bar wouldn't get marked up. I then bolted the two angles together with the flats between them and some shimming so that the flatbar would move. This made a thin v block type tool that was adjustable for different stock. I had to grind a recess in the middle of the angles so there was room for the top bending tool to come down.

JNewman, am I understanding that the bar slipped down between the flats while being formed and the flats helped to keep it from twisting?
With that V-shape, did it actually close at the bottom?

I have some 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle laying around.
What if I took two pieces and drilled holes through both for bolts on the ends of the angle.
Add two or more holes for 1" round bar to slip through.
Then add a few washers to the bolts between the angle iron to match the width of the material being bent and bolt the angle together.
A cutout would be needed for the top tool when its lowered.
The material being bent would be supported by the angle as its "rides" on the round bars.

Eric, what size press do you have?
I have a P5 and have not tried anything like that yet.
Are you able to bend it hot?

Allen

JNewman, am I understanding that the bar slipped down between the flats while being formed and the flats helped to keep it from twisting? With that V-shape, did it actually close at the bottom? I have some 1/4" x 2" x 2" angle laying around. What if I took two pieces and drilled holes through both for bolts on the ends of the angle. Add two or more holes for 1" round bar to slip through. Then add a few washers to the bolts between the angle iron to match the width of the material being bent and bolt the angle together. A cutout would be needed for the top tool when its lowered. The material being bent would be supported by the angle as its "rides" on the round bars. Eric, what size press do you have? I have a P5 and have not tried anything like that yet. Are you able to bend it hot? Allen

I am not Eric or JNewman, but yes that should work fine,

I had a similar set up for putting a curve on 6mm (1/4") x 40mm (1.5") spring steel for forming rotavator blades stage 1

For the top tool I had a crescent shaped tool to stop indenting the workpiece,

This set up also worked for bending up to right angles in square hollow tube,

I used to make lantern/lighting supports with these so I could feed wires through the arms to reduce their visibility,
The items had to have cable restraints and grommets fitted on finished assemblies to stop wires chafing.

Info may come in useful some time in the future