I Forge Iron

Does anybody have a trenton anvil?

There is a guy near me who is selling a 100# for $250. from the small pic that I saw on his ad it looks to be in pretty good shape. He is going to send me some more pics tomorrow. I figured I'd get a head start on my research. He said it has a serial number that dates it back to the 20s. So, anybody got any dirt on it?

I also have a Trenton. Mine is 155 and I paid 350 for it. My shop mate has a 156 that he paid 300 for, but his is not in as nice of shape. Price depends on location, $2.50 a lb, if it is in good shape isn't outragous, but getting up there. See if he will do $200 cash, but have 250 with you. At 225 I would jump on it.

Because of the narrow waist and long horn/ tail Trentons tend to ring quite a bit, but a good mount and some chain around the waist quiet them down.

Mine is either 131# or 151# (middle digit is hard to read and I've never weighed it) Its a GREAT anvil! It has a slight sway back but I use it to my advantage, It has a couple dings that have been repaired but I know they were done by a competent blacksmith. The ring is minimal due to the plywood pad between it and its stand, but it has great rebound. Truly a joy to use.

Scott

I have a 410 pound we believe is a Trenton. Owned by a copper mine that did their best to mess it up---air arc gouging, crush injuries. It went through an Anvil repair workshop, Gunter method, and is now sitting there humming to it's self in it's awesomeness. Unfortunately all markings were ground off at some part we are mainly identifying it by shape and the depression on the bottom.

Oh yes I have about US$200 in it---traded a fellow a 125# PW, a screw and screwbox for a postvise and $100 boot. He wanted a lighter anvil to cart around and I had recently found the PW wile doing a test drive on a car we ended up buying. (Wife would not let me go and buy the smithing stuff till after we bought the car....)