I Forge Iron

Hand crank Blower problem

Ozziljian

I bought an old Buffalo "Climax" hand crank blower (atleast 20yrs old) that needs repair. The shaft that fan blades mount to is loose. It moves side to side. I haven't taken the gear box apart yet but I'm sure it will need a bearing and that shaft replaced atleast. Does anyone know of a website that I can order parts for it? I haven't had any luck finding one. Thanks

Question~ When you turn the handle does the unit work fairly well, i.e., does it deliver air without any obvious major problems being present?

Also, if it was made by Buffalo Forge it is definitely much older than 20 years, more like 70 at least.

Without seeing it firsthand and based solely on your description, a bit of play in the mechanism is normal. It will also leak oil, this is normal as well.

Would it be possible for you to post a video of this blower in operation, maybe on Youtube?

I had a machinist re-build an old BUFFALO HANDY blower. He replaced the shaft and installed roller bearings, It runs smooth 40-1, the main gear was damaged and still sounds ..crunchy, but it works! The cost? I made a glass top coffee table frame for him, A fair trade !

Yes Mr. Better it does work I was hoping to make cranking it a little easier if I could. I didn't realize it was so old. I opened it up and the fanblade shaft actually has been rigged b4. It seems like it used to have a large screw in bearing or bushing that's missing and been replaced by a nut that slides over shaft and has Allen screws tapped in its side to tighten itself up against a washer that serves as a bushing for shaft. If I remove that nut all together the shaft will bind by moving to the side.
I'll video and try to YouTube it (live never uploaded b4) and reply again. Thanks for your help guys.

O.K. Oz, I see what you mean. It does work when you have the nut installed so I would just run it like that. I guess the operative phrase here is IT WORKS.
There were a lot of different blowers made by many companies. Some are better quality than others. Buffalo Forge made some very high quality blowers, certainly on par with Champion, Cannedy Otto, etc. They also produced some on the lower end of the price scale. Yours is toward the cheaper end of the spectrum. The fact that you've got it working is probably about as good as it gets.
I've got a little Buffalo blower even cheaper than yours, stamped sheet metal body, very small size. It works but not very well. Probably was original equipment on a small portable rivet forge.

The loose fit of the parts, the "slop", is normal. If you really wanted to replace that shaft and return to the fan being held in place with a woodruff key then you will likely have to find another blower like it and scavenge the best parts of the two to create one good one. You also could take your shaft to a machine shop and have new one turned.

Even with a new shaft it isn't going to have any markedly better performance and the "slop" will still be there but hey, IT WORKS so that's better than nothing. It's not a Corvette, more like a Chevette but it runs so just use it until you can replace it with a higher quality unit.

Haha thanks, love the illustrations & way you explained it... I know someone that has a metal lathe, so if it gets to where it doesn't turn very good ill try making a bushing, nut and/or shaft for it. This is the first time Ive ever cranked one so I wasn't sure how tight they should be, and also I didn't know it was that old. So the Buffalo forge company went out of business some 70 yrs ago? Thanks a ton for helping me and with the super quick responses.

Haha thanks, love the illustrations & way you explained it... I know someone that has a metal lathe, so if it gets to where it doesn't turn very good ill try making a bushing, nut and/or shaft for it. This is the first time Ive ever cranked one so I wasn't sure how tight they should be, and also I didn't know it was that old. So the Buffalo forge company went out of business some 70 yrs ago? Thanks a ton for helping me and with the super quick responses.

Buffalo Forge Co. did not go out of business but they were acquired by another company, subsequently sold again but are still in business today. They no longer produce blacksmithing equipment though, just heating and cooling I think.

http://buffaloah.com/h/bfloforge/index.html

This is the type of cheesy little Buffalo blower that I have, thinking of putting it on a charcoal grill. I use a Champion 400 on my forge.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ay100.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/advert/ay100.htm&h=279&w=339&sz=27&tbnid=0df6ZC5Z2e7dBM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=111&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbuffalo%2Bforge%2Bcompany%2Bpictures%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=buffalo+forge+company+pictures&docid=2acJQqkqdSMN7M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6jkvT5WcAYjg0QHBgqnKCg&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ9QEwAw&dur=966

Where are you located? Chances are good if you get with your local blacksmithing group you may find the parts you need or a better blower altogether.

Hey, did you get this solved? I have been through these and can help you out if need be.No not with parts. I don't have parts. I have a working knowldge of these old hand crankers. I use them. I like them.

Yeah, they are more like 70 years old................did someone tell you they were from the 1970's? I don't how you aquired this thing.

• 3 years later...

Hmm, I just bought a Buffalo Climax at our local steam/hit and miss gathering. It seems to work pretty well, a little rattly. Good chance the shaft is worn like yours. I will open it up, clean it out and re-oil. I am seeing traces of green paint and a red-orange paint. Guessing green was the original color?