I Forge Iron

Fireplace tools

Frank Turley

HW, The broom was fun, but I earned minus a nickel an hour on it. The broom is from a roofing tar set which you can get at the building supply. It has a long handle with three or four circular brooms next to each other and set into a wooden stock. I sawed off one broom and found that it was bound by a thin, mild steel ferrule. To make sure I wouldn't lose bristles, I epoxyed them on the end. I cut a section of snug fitting pipe that went part way into the ferrule and welded a cap on it. Before welding the cap, I plug welded the upset shank end onto it. After the cap is on, you have the shank with a round 'cup' on the end, so to speak. The cup fits a ways into the original ferrule. I J-B KWIK Welded it all together, and because of the J-B and the bristles, that portion received flat black paint rather than hot wax.

i really like it frank - it looks so comfortable! i like the sweetie shaped square sections down the tools, and also the hooks they are on are a very pleasing shape - they look easy to get on and off. very nice set! :)

Tim, et al., This morning, I awoke to see about 2.5 inches of white stuff on the ground, q.v. My shop is at 7,000 feet elevation. Santa Fe has four seasons, but not as harsh as the Midwest, where I grew up. My front yard remains au naturel, is called a 'desert front yard." No grass to mow.

post-74-0-56513100-1328279919_thumb.jpg