I Forge Iron

Port tongs

blacksmith-450

I'm a little intimidated to present one of my first project.

These are Port Tongs. Often the cork of old bottles are glued and it is easier to cut the neck.

The procedure is simple, heat tongs, then apply on the neck and cool rapidly. The break is very clear.

eric5-1.jpg

saisi.jpg

Ps : The second photo was a prototype of tongs and an empty bottle !

bris4.jpg

Very cool. Two little suggestions.
One: Twist the handles in opposite directions. This is just a personal taste issue, but I prefer them that way.
Two. Dress your welds. A little more wire, then some grinding and hot hammer time and they will disappear.

that is so groovy! what a strange thing to do to a bottle of port - i really like it .. the tongs are cool, certainly no need for feeling intimidated - and you are clearly using them :) you must drink a lot of the stuff to bother making those special tongs... i like a bit of port but makes me paranoid about gout (not sure why actualy - that may well be nonsense...)

rather interesting, I knew you could cut glass by rapid heating and cooling, but I had never heard of this being used to open a bottle of port (of course I have also never had a bottle of aged port. . . so that makes sense doesnt it?) lovely design there.

very nice, ive never heard of such a thing.

Very cool. Two little suggestions.
One: Twist the handles in opposite directions. This is just a personal taste issue, but I prefer them that way.
Two. Dress your welds. A little more wire, then some grinding and hot hammer time and they will disappear.
i would agree with these words here, also have you tried experimenting with outher types of twists like pineapple maybe a nice rope twist. VERY cool looking, and functional to boot.