I Forge Iron

Dressing drilling bits like, derrick bits? I won't be doing that, but a few oil field peices would come across it if I knew for sure it had 2 hardy holes, and the money to spare. I'd make 2 hardies for knifemaking and make it my knife/tong/whatever anvil.

Some of them were not steel though they were often used hard and put away wet. I have one and found one for the local Fine Arts dept at the Uni. They were used for reforging cable tool drills that worked by raising and lowering the bit to smash a hole through the rock. Predates the rotary tool bits now used in the oilpatch though water well drillers still sometimes use them---my neighbor had one done that way last year.

I'd check the hardness of it before I made a bladesmithing anvil out of it. If it's just a ductile iron it will mark fairly easily.

The 5th generation blacksmith in Stroud OK had one that he had flipped over to get an even larger flat surface for truing plow points on. (when I visited with in in the early 1980's...)

If I can come up with the money, I'll buy it. I'd just like a large anvil. I've got a Kohlswa 75 and a Fulton (Made by either Hay Budden or Fisher. More than likely a Hay Budden). I know someone looking for an anvil so I wouldn't mind selling that Kohlswa for $300. (Its got some edge damage, the rest is pristine flat and true with no welding or repairing. )