I Forge Iron

help for a newbie

Good Morning,

The Pritchel hole can be used when punching a hole in something, it will allow the punch to not hit the anvil face. The Pritchel can also be used for a hold-down or for anything your little heart decides it can be used for.

It could also be used to hold up a flower pot, when you are not using the Anvil and you would like to make the shop look like home. :)

Happy New Year,
Neil

The pritchel is the name for a horseshoe nail hole punch which has a small rectangular business end. The pritchel hole gets its name from that particular tool, even though all kinds and shapes of holes are used for back punching over the pritchel hole. For hot hole punching, we normally have one fore punch side and one back punch side. I like to go in a little more than halfway from the fore punch side; then, flip the piece for the back punching. .I try to back punch the burr and remove it on the anvil face, but that doesn't always work. If the burr doesn't fall on the anvil face, I'll move it to the pritchel hole as a last resort. The burr (slug) should fall through if you're alignment is close.

The edges of the pritchel hole can leave unsightly edge marks on the workpiece. That is why I try to back punch on the anvil face and use the pritchel hole as little as possible.