I Forge Iron

Is this a good forge to buy?

Blacksmith Girl

I think not having sides it will not be very efficent. you are going to lose a lot of heat and probibly use a lot of fuel. I have the dimondback three burner forge. works great can run on 4-5 lbs of gas presure. It also has a large door on the side for doing large pieces. When using this large door the efficency does go down and it is hard to work with out good long tongs as the heat comming out the side is very intence.

Part of the forge description states:

Designed for the artisan who needs versatile “access”

Super fast heating and efficiency even with open design!

Perfect for odd shapes such as armor and sculpture!

I have also seen similar forge set-ups used to accommodate large plate heating for repousse and chasing. In cases like these no walls are used.

Not a bad forge or price, but as stated by many above it depends on your needs.
With that forge you have options to use it for purposes it is designed for and also add a few firebricks for temporary sides when needed.

For general use blacksmithing you may also consider building your own gas forge.
Or build your own shell and insert a boughten burner.
Great BPs on IFI that show how to build the shells and the burners.
I build all my gassers using the IFI BP submitted by Garey Ford.
(Notice that these are great gassers for general blacksmithing, knife making, making pattern welding steel (Damascus), etc, but there is NO possible access for large plate type materials)

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/21954-i-have-been-busy-too/

Just my input and welcome to IFI. :D

Stan

For $300 seems ok for the price, but I would absolutely make some modifications to it, add hinged insulated sides to be precise. Would be good if you are making sculpture, odd shapes etc, but not really ideal if you want to make blades in. Like they said, you need to let us know what you want to use it for.

I've got a diamond back metal artist forge, two burners clamshell design with a hinged side. I block off the third side (end) with fire brick to make it more efficient, I think he makes them now with hinged sides all round, which would be ideal. I really like having the versatality of opening sides.. as sometimes I need to put things in that don't fit...

let us know what you decide :)

If you can use tin snips, a drill and some hand tools, you can build a forge! I won't begrudge you for buying a burner, or even a fully built forge, but with your interests you should be capable of making your own (not that buying a suitable unit is a bad idea, and I am not commenting on the linked forge because more knowledgeable people have already done so.) My forge is a"mailbox" design made from sheet metal stove pipe joined with zip screws (self drilling sheet metal screws) lined with 2 inches of ceramic wool. It is a single burner, and it was sized to have a single common firebrick as the floor.

Phil

one simple possibility for that forge, if you decide not to build your own, would be to stack up fire bricks (check your local brickyard or hardware store) around the sides to help keep some of the heat in. you can change them around depending on size of work etc. just make sure you leave enough exhaust area to prevent back-pressure.
if you want to get fancy paint the hot faces of the bricks with itc100 or plistix
best price i found for itc 100 is on ebay.

one simple possibility for that forge, if you decide not to build your own, would be to stack up fire bricks (check your local brickyard or hardware store) around the sides to help keep some of the heat in. you can change them around depending on size of work etc. just make sure you leave enough exhaust area to prevent back-pressure.
if you want to get fancy paint the hot faces of the bricks with itc100 or plistix
best price i found for itc 100 is on ebay.

Uhh don't use normal bricks from a lumber yard "fire" or otherwise. They can't take the thermal overload of 2000º and their concrete reaction will be driven backwards and they could explode. Instead you should use real insulating bricks.

I am seriously looking at buying this forge but I would like to know if any of you have any opinions on the quality of it,

http://orlando.craig...2742314825.html

Hmm I don't know how that would heat well. Even with some bricks in it is a two venturi burner rig. Very chancy. I wouldn't do it. Especially when I can make a perfectly good forge for under 100 dollars. Just see the post in my signature.

Hmm I don't know how that would heat well. Even with some bricks in it is a two venturi burner rig. Very chancy. I wouldn't do it. Especially when I can make a perfectly good forge for under 100 dollars. Just see the post in my signature.

I've been to the different hardware stores where I live and none of them carry those items, the nearest distributor of firebrick is in orlando (70 miles away)
so when you account for traveling it would cost quite a bit.

I've been to the different hardware stores where I live and none of them carry those items, the nearest distributor of firebrick is in orlando (70 miles away)
so when you account for traveling it would cost quite a bit.

Try buying from the Hitemp Refractory Store on ebay if you cant find them elsewhere locally. Soft firericks are light and the shipping is minimal. However in Orlando I cant imagine you cant find the right bricks. Dont look for hardware stores, they dont know anything. Instead look for a ceramics supply store. If they dont have it, they can undoubtedly direct you to someone that does. Ask for insulating firebricks used to make Kilns. I must say, however, that the Hitemp Refractory Store has some good stuff. Ordered from them before.