I Forge Iron

Pigtail Turners

I posted this pic in another thread but I'm pretty proud of them. They're Christmas presents for friends and family. They're a bit rough but still, I think they look pretty good, besides, I like my stuff to be a bit "rustic". Of course, that's probably just an excuse for my poor workmanship. :D

22475095.jpg

I make lots of pigtails, and ever since I met a left handed chef who said he could not use a pigtail because he kept tossing the meat on the ground, I also make left handed versions. Pick up a normal pigtail and try to use it left handed and you will see what he meant. I just do a mirror image or the right handed version. At demo's I always have both, and make a point of telling folks I have them in both hands. I sell a lot of left handed since those folks often feel left out.

These are great things to experiment with as far as handles go.

Kube60, good work, and I am sure those being gifted will love them.

Yeah, once I start selling them I'll make lefties. It's just that as far as I know, all the giftees are righties.

Oh and thanks for the encouragement guys. This is the first thing I've made that I think people might actually want to buy. Can't wait for summer to go into full production of these and a few other basics.

Hey Kube, good job. I'm with ptree, though. I also make and have an assortment of left and right hand pigtails on hand at the camps/demos that I do. I sell quite a few leftys. Keep up the good work. Oh, just a personal preference to note. I'd put the handle loop on the bottom. Just my preference. :) Thanks for sharing the pix.

Oh, just a personal preference to note. I'd put the handle loop on the bottom. Just my preference. :) Thanks for sharing the pix.

Okay, confession time. I thought I was putting the handle loop on the bottom. I thought the hook was supposed to point down. Oh well. I'll fudge the truth when I give them and make them right next time.

The first few I made I paid no attention to the orientation of the hook to the handle. Then I tried one on the grill. I put the few I made back on the forge and re-oriented the handle to match the hook. Get a coat hanger, wire because the wooden ones don't bend worth a hoot, and bend it till it feels right when you try and hook something. this will let you know what feels comfortable without contorting your wrist to flip the steak.
I make mine so that when I make a fist to hold the flipper, my palm and fingers are facing down and the tip of the hook is pointing down at the steak. This lets you rotate the flipper naturally with the steak in tow.
And yes you do need to include some for lefties. My son the lefty pointed that out quickly.

It's amazing the little things that make a difference.

Okay, confession time. I thought I was putting the handle loop on the bottom. I thought the hook was supposed to point down. Oh well. I'll fudge the truth when I give them and make them right next time.

You could just heat the centre and put a half twist in to reorient the tip to handle.