I Forge Iron

I was just reading the post "Care and feeding...." and they were talking about coatings. Not wanting to high jack with my question I made this post.

When you have made an object that is to be used with or around food people mention coating with oils and the one that seems to come up alot is peanut oil. Now, when giving a peanut oil coated object to a friend, or selling it do you mention this? As to selling, should you not put a nut warning on the object?

Of course maybe I have missed something and that with the high heats the oil losses the reaction to people properties.

Thought I would put this out there since I have not seen something on the allergy end.

DennisG

Very good point. I went to a party where I was to deep fry a whole turkey and had mentioned to the host that I was using peanut oil. He informed me that one of the guests had an allergy to peanuts . I then changed to corn oil. One can never be too safe when it comes to food allergies .

Its a wonder we survived this long.

Learned to ride a bike without a helmet. Kids traveled in cars without car seats or seat belts. 22 rifles and BB guns we normal for 12 year olds. You got a draft card and you could drink at 18. Most doctors smoked and some even endorsed their favorite brands. Girlfriends dad was likley the most dangerous thing you encountered unless you got drafted. And believe it or not a lot of ironwork including utensils was hot dipped in used motor oil.

I use vegetable shortening. It works well, is easy to use and side steps the whole vegan, allergy, religious restriction problems. Mineral oil seems to do the same, but I don't know a good source of cheap mineral oil. (I admit to not looking hard either.) I have a small bottle of mineral oil, but it is reserved for honing.

Phil