I Forge Iron

file maintenance

Pat Roy

I can't help you with the ones that are already filled but in future treat the files with powdered chalk to minimize this problem. I have only used chalk but my guess is that diatomaceous earth or talc would also work well.

For the filled ones try soaking in vinegar and brushing a couple of times per day for about two days... I doubt the aluminum will be affected much but the vinegar might eat the steel enough to loosen the aluminum and allow the brush to scrub it out. Your files might end up a bit sharper too!

A file card is the traditional solution. A better suggestion (stolen from Alexander Weygers) is to use the edge of a sheet of thin brass, and run it parallel with the teeth of the file. The brass will be soft enough to conform to the teeth of the file and form little teeth of its own, which will get down into the grooves and scrape out the embedded bits of metal. But brass is much softer than the file teeth, so it's much gentler than a file card.

Before filing rub soap stone or chalk into the teeth. When you feel the file skate over the material clean with a file card.
A little elbow grease and a piece of copper will push the clog out of the teeth of the file. Yes it will take some time. (minutes) Once clean, easy to keep clean. Good files are expensive.

There are files made especially for aluminum. They have larger teeth and a different cut. They work exceptionally well. In a lot situations a cutting tool works optimally on materials with similar properties. Aluminum is soft and gummy steel and many kinds of brass are not. http://www.simonds.cc/files/amp-aluminumflat.php?menu=mnuPFiles

Just came in from the shop. I went out to check my facts before I responded. Chalk and soapstone work well, but I think
WD 40 or charcoal lighter fluid is better. I had to refresh the chalk after just a few strokes, but could file alot longer with
the wet lube. It does cause the chips to collect on the file but were easily brushed away with a fingernail brush
or tooth brush. Even a glove hand cleaned them off. WD 40 will also keep grinding wheels from clogging when grinding
aluminum.

A tool and die friend of mine once told me that brass was the best way to clean a file and I've found that to be true. Keeps the teeth sharp and like new. I have a file card but it does seem to dull the file teeth and I tried things like chalk in the past but found them to be kinda messy and I had to keep applying the chalk which was tedious on a protracted filing job. I like the brass idea the best. I know that all these things were mentioned by others; just wanted to toss in my two cents.

So far I had pretty good succes with rubbing the edge of a piece of aluminum across one file. The other file is round and has very fine teeth. That technique didn't work well at all but now it is sitting in the vinegar. We'll see how that goes.

My experience has shown that file work may be not only rewarding, it may be the only way for me to get what I want. This means I need not only a file card (metal teeth) but also a file card ( bristle teeth) and also a copper and/or steel pick to remove pins in the file teeth and also a short napped bristle brush and a nice wood piece to rest the file on while I brush it clean. It also means that I must be patient and be prepared to clean the file every few strokes. Using a second cut or smooth file can take time indeed but will reward you with exceptional finished goods. These files ain't cheap so I take care of them. Yes, a large piece of chalk works well. Remove the chalk from the file teeth when you are done with the project or it will hold moisture (ask me how I know this).

Was playing around with a file that was badly clogged with aluminum to see if I could clean it yesterday. I took a piece of sheet brass 16ga about 1" wide and 2" long and worked it across the teeth in a part of the file that was not clogged as others have suggested. I was able to cut in teeth that matched the cut of the file. I worked this back and forth across the clogged part of the file. It removed some of the pinning but not all. I then decided where I met resistance to to tap on the backside of the brass with a very light hammer. This worked but it was slow. Not exactly a money making activity for me, the time it took I could have earned the money for a new file.