I Forge Iron

Cannedy Otto Camelback Drill Press Fun

Alrighty so I got it for $25 bucks. I'm dissassembling it, and I ran into a problem. How in the world do I get the stupid gears apart that adjust the table height? They won't turn any at all. I'm highly tempted to take it to a machinest buddy and have him farbicate me a whole new assembly using the original threaded rod. (Which is in eccelent shape. I think it was adjusted to one height and never changed, theres no wear to be found on the support column.) I've taken every screw out of it that I can find, and soaked it in parts cleaner to see if its just glued together with old oil and grease to no avail.

Start by scrubbing off the rust, then go to a penetrating oil, then apply mechanical force *carefully* in appropriate places using soft faced tools or wooden blocks. This is not a done in a minute job, but will take you some time and patience. Hosing it down with oil, wrapping it up (plastic wrap?) and leaving it sit for a week may be a good option.

Heat is also an option.

Phil

I found a recipe on here for 1:1 ratio of automatic transmission fluid to acetone as a rust remover and loosener. Mud daubers built a hotel inside the crank housing making it packed with super fine cleche particulate. I'm gonna take the gears to the machinest and see if he can make a pair or repair them.

I'll try heat tomorrow evening after it gets a good soaking. I took the spacers off the main babbott shaft cleaned, brake cleanered, re-cleaned, then sprayed it down with a heavy coating of PB Lubricating oil. I have 1 1/2 quarts of the acetone transmission fluid mix. I put a little on a file and hit it on another file to see the ease of ignition.... Lets say I won't be doing it again over the trash can. I've gotta either get new gears made, or weld/braze a row onto the teeth area then file to suit. I'd kill to have a hydraulic press at the moment. So much stuff to be pushed and pressed, and all I can do is hammer, hammer, hammer. If I can get access to a press, would it be possible to push the parts apart? I'll probably need to get another mount to mount the assembly to the frame made. (I forsee a project to keep me busy for 3 days in Ag. Class. Ge tthe appropriate size of tubing, weld it to a peice of pipe to get the correct angle for mounting on the frame, and build up the tail end and drill and tap the far ear input.)

Tomorrow morning all the break cleaners going to the trash. I remember being four years old and in the hospital from an allergic reaction, then having a severe reaction to the medicine that was supposed to make me get better. I don't like doctors, nor do I care for needles, or being couped up in a machine and remaining perfectly still for any amount of time. I'll stick with my PB Blaster and a good sized hammer.

You can whip up a press with a small bottle jack and something to restrain it.

Also all these solvent coated rags need disposed of properly. Burning them in the forge is one choice, using a steel trash bin dedicated to just oil rags until you can dispose of them is another choice. Do not store them in or against a structure (house, garage, shed) as they may start generating heat and auto-ignite.

Phil