I Forge Iron

Help selecting a anvil

I currently have a 70lb farriers anvil but am interested in purchasing a larger 200-300lb Blacksmith anvil. For now I'll probably buy something new since I'm not totally sure what to look for in a used anvil. Hoping to get some input from some of the more experienced members on what style and what brand I should be considering. I've checked around on the internet and saw Peddinghaus, Refflinghaus, Kohlswa and Euroanvil. I see several different styles such as double horns, side shelves. Peddinghaus is forged and it appears the others are cast. I'd appreciate any advice I could get. Thanks

I have a 275 peddinghaus double bick with upsetting block. I haven't used the upsetting block very much, but I'm real happy with the anvil. I strapped it to the stump with some rubber belting material as an interface. The ring quieted down quite a bit, but it's still pretty loud out on the bicks.

if you're interested in a used anvil check this thread on what to look for
A basic list of things to know before buying your new anvil.

If you want a new one Peddinghaus is currently the only forged anvil I know of and is costly. I have a peddinghaus 50 kg (110 lbs) and like it.
I hear good things of Nimba anvils. They are cast and more costly than Peddinghaus.
Some of the makers of farrier anvils make larger versions if you are happy with the one you have except for weight maybe search for a heaver model.

I happen to like the double horn style.

ron

I've got a 178lb Euroanvil.

Great anvil, but you have to realize up front that the face is going to be slightly softer that an old steel-faced anvil (Peter Wright, etc.).

Just don't hit cold iron, and use good hammer control. And if you need to put the cold end of a piece you are upsetting on something hard... well that's what that upsetting block is for (don't ask how I figured that one out).

I got a good deal on mine three of four years ago, and for the money, I think it's a great anvil.

Don

DIEF:
Looking at the rathole forge website. Didn't they used to have anvils that had holes cast into the side for inserting rods to use like a vertical turning fork? That was one of the clever features I liked when I saw one a while back, but the new ones don't seem to have them? Does yours have the holes, and if so are they really that useful of a feature??

Personally, I've been saving up for a rathole or a nimba. Once I get the money, then I'll worry about which one;) I've heard very good things about Pedinghaus also. I've recently heard a rumor that Euroanvils has been having there anvils cast in different foundries and that some of them are not quite up to par. When I do get the money saved, I'm probably gonna buy one of the American made ones (Nimba or Rathole).

-Aaron @ the SCF

Ive got vaughn brooks,nimba,mousehole,peter wright,kohlswa,hey budden,arm & hammer,fisher,jhm, trenton from 25lbs to 560 lb and a big refflinghaus on the way.( four month delivery )
there is not a lot of difference between any of them except the fishers.
id take a new cast tool steel anvil over any of them anyday but thats a matter of preference.
i like the 560lb vaughn brooks , the 450lb nimba , the 260lb JHM , the 209lb kohlswa all cast tool steel anvils the best but havent gotten the refflinghaus yet.
I would suggest that you purchase the largest anvil that you can afford no matter what brand that you choose.
You can do small work on a large anvil but its hard to do big work on a small anvil, in fact doing to large of work on too small of an anvil is the main reason that its hard to find a 100lb to a 150lb anvil in decent shape.
that just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
Your'e likely to get more opinions on anvil size , style , name brands than any other question that you could ask.
Good luck on your quest
Mike Tanner

Just another note in passing: there is, and always has been, a difference between Euroanvils and Old World Anvils. I have no experience with Old World, but I have seen them confused on more than one occasion.

Don

Mike, Did you order the Refflinghaus from Dick Niefeld at Shady Grove Forge? and if you don't mind me asking, which model did you order?
Dief, Thanks for the Rathole link. I really had no idea how many choices there were when it came to choosing a anvil.

• 2 years later...