I Forge Iron

Forging in Germany challenge

On 11/2,De St Uby posted a great video of a German master smith demonstrating the forging process for various decorative elements. The video was done in the 1920',s and shows what a master and striker could do with apparent ease and speed. Really inspirational.

The work is a little hard to see in some scenes and the subtitles were in German so ,altho great, the video could be improved . This gave me the idea that maybe the more experienced smiths on this forum would be willing to take one or two of the elements and make a short video showing what can be done today with modern iron and skills . If four or five smiths volunteer, all of the elements could be covered. The modern smiths would be challenged to push their skill level and speed and we could all learn from their efforts.It would be similar to the great videos Mark Aspery has put on You Tube, but for these particular decorative elements.
Is anyone game? I'll donate a t shirt or two.

I'm open to it, but I'm fairly ignorant about the machinery of getting it done. I finally got on youtube this year when Henry Heymering took some camera motion pics of me working at a demo in Maryland. Then, a friend, Stuart Kraft, put a couple on youtube of me doing a little work in my shop. Those two guys did all the digital stuff including sending it to youtube. They both live out of town. If I do get some images made by someone, where to send them? Is Glenn in on this?

To do a modern video version of one of the elements demonstrated in the Forging Germany film posted last week. Pick any of the skills he demonstrated and show your proficiency for the benefit of others.Limit is say 3 to 5 minutes. Try to do with as much speed as the German Master Smith. It is not expected that a new skill can be done by any member as quickly as the German Master but that is a significant aspect of his ability. Thanks for participating.

• 3 months later...

I used a piece of 3/4" solid bar stock then cut it with a hot cut 2 1/2" all the way through length wise. squared the pieces up and re heated turned 90 degrees and cut through both sides. at that point you have 4 pieces. come down about 1/2" and forged the rivet with a gilletine tool. once you have your rivet to length cut it off. Place in pritchel hole and spread out the 4 arms. Shape the arms. scroll ends and place under pre punched bars heat and peen rivet, tighten up scroll arms. the biggest thing is to have your cuts even it will save you a lot of time and have a good chisel to make those cuts I use a chisel made from A-2 with a handle. it took 3 main heats and and 4 small heats to control the in the arms.