I Forge Iron

Forging hopeful from Nv

wannaforge

Hi there, found this site while browsing around today. I am taking some classes down in Sacramento this month, to learn the basics and see if this is what I really want to do. I am so excited!!!!! My main interest is knives and axes. I don't have a shop, nor a forge, anvil etc... so I am so darn green it hurts to look. HA Really am inspired by the pics I've seen so far, and hope to put some of my own on some day. Look foward to your comments, advice and even critism. See you.

Zeke

Welcome to IFI Zeke.

Glad you found us. Classes are a great way to start. The next thing to do is to seek out blacksmiths in your area. They will be able to help you more than anything. Wanting to make knives and axes are a great goal to shoot for. I think that in your classes you will find that they want you to start out small. In time if you have the drive and the talent you will make some really beautiful knives. Work your way up to that point.
My point is that a lot of people start out with dreams and ambitions in life and because they aimed too high too soon they became discouraged. Hang in there. There is a lot to learn and the journey is well worth the trip.

Mark <><

Thanks for the comments and advice, it is sound, plan on taking it to heart. The class I'm taking is at Mclellan Blacksmith in Sacramento. Have exchanged emails with the guy and he gave me basically the same advice as I have gotten from you all so far. I probably sound like a 13 year old on his first fishing trip, but can't help it. Fe-wood I am about two hours south of reno, and would like to find out more about your friends open forge, however wednesday nights is kinda rough. But if you think about it, and he is okay with it I would like to contact him... only person I have heard from nevada so far. Thanks.

Zeke

Welcome to the forum. Taking classes are a great way to get started and to make progress quickly. It is true that a big part of leaning is the experience of finding out what works for you, but learning about how other people accomplish things, and the little tricks they use, goes a long way to increasing skills quickly.

Joining a local blacksmithing group is also helpful in both learning from others and in finding tools, locations to practice forge work, and other tips and local resources. Knifemaking does not necessarily require a lot of space, I have seen successful knifemaking in one car garages in spaces less than 100 square feet.

Hello Wannaforge,
there are a couple other NV residents on here, but we are in Southern NV. I grew up in Fairfield CA, and Solano Community College offered blacksmithing classes. The instructor I had was Dave Nourot (new-row). Dave was a past official of one of the blacksmiths associations , and put on a good program.

From what I hear Mike, Those were good events. Several smiths from around the eastside. Be prepaired for wind...

Zeke-
Go to http://calsmith.org/classes/calendar/

Go to bottom of the page

I suggest you call first- The location CBA has for him is wrong.... Tell him Peter sent ya!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...