I Forge Iron

Workshop Layout Ideas

My wife and I just bought a new house, and one of the things it has is sufficient garage space to give one to me as a dedicated work shop. Since I'm just moving in, and it's about twice the size of my old space, my tools have plenty of room so far.

I'm a hobbyist who got interested in blacksmithing when I taught myself to weld a few years back. I'm not planning on having a commercially-viable space, but I would like to build some architectural pieces for my house, and build some motorcycle chassis.

I was hoping I could get some ideas on best layout, considerations for usage, guidelines or thoughts on how much space certain things should get, etc. I've put together a really cruddy MS Paint picture, showing the general layout (not to scale! ) with doors and electrical.

My forge and anvil will go outside the 36" door, on the patio area.

Other tools and equipment:

20" Floor-standing drill press
4X6 HF bandsaw
Atlas bench-top mill
180-amp MIG welder
Bench grinder

Rolling tool chest
Work bench 30X84
Work bench 36X48
Shelving unit 24X48

I was thinking that I'd put the power equipment along the left-hand wall, and my tool chest, shelving unit, and work benches along the right hand side. I have to build a material rack for steel stock that I'd also put along the right hand side.

I'd also like to add a small lathe (like a 12X36) some time in the next year, so I'll want to plan for that.

Any layout or workflow considerations that I should be making? Any general ideas on what works and what doesn't?

Thanks!

post-4661-0-22690300-1319570857_thumb.jp

Take your layout and then cut from paper the relative size of your equipement, then place them on the paper (pic you posted above) then go through your mind as if you are starting a job with full length steel bars and going through the process of working them into your final project. Move the paper (equipement) around untill you think you are happy with that layout, or what the best steps or travel paths will be. This method is easier than moving things around once they are all in the shop. Only you know what equipement you use the most, and how you like to work.

Make it easy for your primary focus, rarely done things can involve shifting stuff around.

Can you put stock storage outside too? Perhaps a piece of PVC pipe fastened horizontally to the outside garage wall that will hold long pieces? 20' sticks can take up a lot of interior room as they are hard to move around.

Power: I could run a 60-amp sub-panel without doing any other upgrades to my house service. Since my current needs don't exceed 30 amps, I figured that was enough room to grow for a while. Basically it came down to cost.

Forge layout: Yes, the smithy will be outside, and will be pretty simple: a forge, an anvil, and a post vise, with some very simple tool racks. I live in an urban area, and I don't want to leave any tools outside that could easily walk off, so they will be locked up every day in my work area.

Stock Storage: I'm unlikely to get to store stock outside. That probably limits me to 10-footers (or as in a recent daily tip from I Forge Iron, 8-footers and 12-footers). I had planned on fabbing some racks to hold the stock horizontally against a wall.

220V-outlet: I've had the work done already. I have a 100-foot, 50-amp power cord, so I can move my welder around pretty easily.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there aren't any general rules of thumb that I'm missing. I love the ideas about mocking up the space. I played the "paper dolls" game when I laid out my previous space, and I'm trying to talk my wife into doing the cardboard box trick on our house layout!. If anyone has any more comments, keep 'em coming. I appreciate it.

Also keep in mind the working triangle for your floor layout. Fewest steps between forge, anvil and post vise with room to swing what ever you think will be your longest piece of stock.

Yes and add another position if you have a power hammer. For most purposes, for a one-handed smith, two paces between stations works.

When I built my shop along with all the other excellent suggestions mentioned previously, I thought it important to have many outlets for hand power tools. I hate having extension cords to trip over. I installed outlets every 6 feet along the walls at a height that I don't have to bend over to plug the cords in.

My forge is at one end of the building, in the darkest corner. The treadle hammer is nearby but towards the center. I have a work bench on one side for some of the cold work. The band saw, welding table and welder are on wheels, so they can go where needed. I have some material storage overhead and some in a corner where it doesn't interfere with operations. There is open space near the double doors for layout and assembly. Some how I have to work a part time paint booth into this. Shop is 20' X 24'.

No matter what, you'll wish you'd done something different. Good luck.