I Forge Iron

noodling around with fold forming

So I was out in the shop this evening plinking away on bottle openers (this is what I do while I'm trying to decide what I'm doing) when I spotted a stack of 10 gauge sheet rectangles a friend had dropped off at my shop six months ago. At the time I didn't know what to do with them but they where an interesting shape so I tossed them on the pile and promptly forgot about them.

I had recently read through an article on fold forming in an old blacksmithing mag I had lying around so I decided instead of getting into anything purposeful I'd do a little "free play" this evening and popped one of the sheets into the fire.

After doing a few experimental folds and finding myself pleasantly surprised at just how organic the results where, I ended up with a partially folded plate that looked like it wanted to be a door knocker.

post-19494-0-32557400-1318646624_thumb.j

post-19494-0-70129900-1318646630_thumb.j

post-19494-0-73443100-1318646638_thumb.j

post-19494-0-27244800-1318646646_thumb.j

post-19494-0-63018200-1318646656_thumb.j

post-19494-0-79189200-1318646665_thumb.j

I really like the form you developed noodlin around, though I think calling it fold forming is a stretch but I'm not an expert. Deb's much better at fold forming but been away from it for a while.

Charles Lewton Brain "invented" fold forming and has developed some really incredible shapes. I was being sufficiently challenged with leaves and slipper/boat forms myself. He's written a boatload of metal working books and is darned famous for his skill and willingness to share. My connection isbeing too slow to look through his site and find some pics but here's the link. http://www.brainpress.com/LewtonBrain.html#Galleries

Oh yeah, I admire your verve in noodling with 10ga. Well done, REALLY.

Frosty the Lucky.

I once used fold forming on a door knocker as well: I forged out a dragon's head from 1" sq stock drawing the "tail" out long and spiraling it for the knocker part and then fold formed sheet metal for the wings that were the mounts for the knocker as they terminated in rounded stubs that fit in a hole drilled in the dragon in the "neck" region. Made the wings much more 'realistic".

Last I heard the owner planned to mount it on his mantelpiece, sigh.

I once used fold forming on a door knocker as well: I forged out a dragon's head from 1" sq stock drawing the "tail" out long and spiraling it for the knocker part and then fold formed sheet metal for the wings that were the mounts for the knocker as they terminated in rounded stubs that fit in a hole drilled in the dragon in the "neck" region. Made the wings much more 'realistic".

Last I heard the owner planned to mount it on his mantelpiece, sigh.

That sounds like a fantastic piece. Do you have any pictures?