I Forge Iron

Brakedrum forge upgrade question

I am getting ready to upgrade my forge and am wondering which would be better in the long run. The 55gal barrel or to make a table out of a 22" x 30" x 1/8" piece of plate that I have? I don't have any torches or welders, I do have grinders, drills and assorted power saws. I also have a ready built stand so I would need to cut a hole in the plate, attach angle iron sides and mount to the stand. I do know that the drum would be easier and faster but it seems that the table might be a better set up in the long run. I just want to hear the pros & cons of both. I am in no big hurry, I can use ithe forge for a while as is on blocks.
Thanks

You can put the brake drum in your table then upgrade to a better fire pot of the same size or larger, later.

The drum will have you working quicker and easier, and you can upgrade later. You can also use the brake drum to make it last longer.

Drums are useful for storing things like fuel or scrap. The larger table area may make it easier since you have a project area for tools.

Phil

Brainstorming tonight!
Step 1, set the forge on the table base for now and use with a blow dryer.
step 2, build 55 gal drum base and use until I can get the table built the way I want it.
step 3. mount drum forge on table ( or maybe build an entire new forge and have 2? The 55 could be made portable to use for demos! My mind is running rampant with possabilitys now. My wife just informed me that a friend of ours is wanting me to do a workshop at a gathering that she is having in a couple of weeks. Time to stop dreaming and get to work.

I have a champion 400 blower that has a square flange on the output that I have to make a way to connect to the 2" flex exaust pipe that will connect it to the forge.

You may think I am silly, but I am using a piece of canvas lined with heavy plastic, sewn together and quilted as my flexible air duct between the blower and the tue. Works great and does not get damaged from being kinked.

I have to move my entire kit from the garage to the drive every time I use it. (I do leave the forge table out frequently.)

Phil

I started out bolting 1/2 inch square legs right to the brake drum. Then a more stable plant stand for a while, I was able to add a couple of diamond plate shelves on either side of that. Stumbled onto a steel service cart, about 18 x36, cut a hole in that and bolted the brake drum to it, that set up worked really well.

If you have access to materials to get your brake drum into some sort of a table with a raised edge or lip, I'd say go for that setup.

post-182-0-60649600-1316146757_thumb.jpg

The 55 Forge (and pan) is about 450 square inched in area. Your 22 x 30 inch plate is 660 square inches. Do not be deceived by the numbers as this is total area not usable area. The plate has no edges just flat surface, no depth, where as the 55 Forge pan can be cut to any depth you wish. Either one will work for holding the fire pot but the 55 Forge pan will hold a supply of coal, tools etc.

My suggestion would be to use the pan for the 55 forge and the plate for a side table. You can always change things as your needs change.

Sorry I was a little late in seeing this post. Here is what I did.

I used the same brake drum from my last 55 forge. I used it for the past year and a half with no problems. The 55 drum worked great. I made a new one because I wanted to change the design, not because the old one wore out. It was an outside forge and survived in all kinds of weather.