I Forge Iron

Terry Pratchet

Karn3

• 1 month later...

Having a sword in the Uk is not knife-crime..nor is carrying it.

I wonder who the smith was...

Ric
carrying any blade over 3" in length in public is illegal in the UK.
there are exceptions, such as if you need a knife in a professional capacity, such as a chef, for example.

but you are correct, having a sword are any blade on private land for a private collection is fine. its only an issue when you step outside your front door.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
carrying any blade over 3" in length in public is illegal in the UK.

Carrying a knife with a locking or fixed blade ( of any length) is illegal in much of the US. Many states have formed judge made law holding such a knife to be per se a lethal weapon and the district federal courts have gone along. The judges simply can't wrap their heads around the utility of a fixed or locking blade apart from some imagined desire to harm others.
Any knife of any size or shape - or almost any other object - can be the basis of a charge of unlawfully carrying a deadly weapon. I've defended people who only had can openers. Every single state where I've surveyed the knife laws (and I’ve surveyed quite a few) has very vague statutory structure made more vague by the courts all allowing the arresting officer to form his own on-the-spot ad hoc opinion about whether the item or knife is being carried as a weapon. Then, at trial, the court is likely to just rubber stamp the officer's opinion after he testifies about his expertise on the topic by intoning the usual meaningless talismanic phrases about his experience and training.

there are exceptions, such as if you need a knife in a professional capacity, such as a chef,

Yes, Or carpet layer or carpenter or whatever. A Vocational reason for having a knife is your get out of jail card so long as you can show that you were indeed going to or from that vocation. But it all goes to XXXX if the officer is also charging you with some kind of crime for which he imagines the knife might have been useful as a weapon.

So when the nice policeman ask you to step out of the car - - - leave your blade inside the car.