I Forge Iron

rapid hammer..what is it?

You like noise, eh? The huge advantage of exact thickness would be lost.

I do not know exactly what it is, but you can see more of it here: http://vimeo.com/3518488 http://vimeo.com/3518689

Grant,
Larry thought it was a straight-side press as well...more than 100 ton.
As to noise..no I hate noise, but I like getting the work done with tools I understand.

Matt,
Thanks for the link..I had not seen those before.

Ric

I've got my machining ticket, lord knows that doesn't mean I'm much of one though. Anyways
.. I would say there would be a fair bit of work involves into making one of these yourself. You would need a fair sized shop to do a decent job on the frame. And a lot of steel, and time

Now what if...... (Dangerous words)
We all seem to like speed of the hammer, but the short, non easily adjustable stroke neccesitates the multiple hammer stations yes? So what happens if we keep the short stroke and the speed but add adjustability. This would allow us to build the same system with only one station. I'm wondering if something like system Hugh Macdonald uses to overcome basicically the same problem inly a rolling mill might work. It's essentially a foot operated cam leaver that raises the bottom roller into the work piece. Someone might be able to expand on that explanation. So what if one was to uze the same system to raise the anvil into the hammer. It would have to be excessively overbuilt compared to the rolling mill, but I'm wondering if due to such a small stroke it might work. Perhaps have it cam over and lock?

Thoughts? Would it hit to hard on the cam? Vibrate your legs off? Am I crazy?

I've got my machining ticket, lord knows that doesn't mean I'm much of one though. Anyways
.. I would say there would be a fair bit of work involves into making one of these yourself. You would need a fair sized shop to do a decent job on the frame. And a lot of steel, and time

We all seem to like speed of the hammer, but the short, non easily adjustable stroke neccesitates the multiple hammer stations yes? So what happens if we keep the short stroke and the speed but add adjustability. This would allow us to build the same system with only one station. I'm wondering if something like system Hugh Macdonald uses to overcome basicically the same problem inly a rolling mill might work. It's essentially a foot operated cam leaver that raises the bottom roller into the work piece. Someone might be able to expand on that explanation. So what if one was to uze the same system to raise the anvil into the hammer. It would have to be excessively overbuilt compared to the rolling mill, but I'm wondering if due to such a small stroke it might work. Perhaps have it cam over and lock?

There is a version of this idea I have seen as a home build called a nibbler , basically a small travel offset cam operation on about the same scale as the macdonald mill.
but not an industrial machine as we would be used to.
the very high tonnage needed to make a machine like this usefull to a pro machine shop would make a multy station machine like this a hard job to accomplish .
the high tonnage needed in a machine like this would make an adjustable foot pedal out of the question , a macdonald millruns at about 6 tonne (by my own versions calculations) and a machine like this would have to be much much higher than that with quite a bit of fly wheel inertia .

I've used a ryder type machine a few times at the third place I served my apprenticeship. Easy to set up, but requires a keen eye so that you don't forge too far on one side before doing the other die or edge. I remember doing gad/screwdriver type points on it and never could get them to all look the same! It was fairly quiet, until you shoved too much metal in. Then it would shake and rumble loud. This was the handy warning sign as going even further could cause the connecting rod/ yoke to pop out from its' crank pin.
The best job (apparently- and this is top secret so don't tell anyone;)) it did was swaging down pipe.

"Surprising they can't just get material rolled or even roll it themselves". Rolling would make a different shoulder, wouldn't it? The production forging rollers i've seen were in a spring works, I think they are more suited to longish tapers with well blended in transformation back to the parent stock, rather than a shoulder.

Definitely neat machine and discussions all!

Enjoy,
AndrewOC.

Nibblers are very useful machines. I have a trumpf cn900 nibbler that will shear, nibble, dome, shrink, stretch, and much more. I had a large Savage nibbler with a very large flywheel that was better for forging. http://www3.telus.net/public/benowak/IMG_4533.jpg.

The Trumpf nibbler has an adjustable stroke length and the upper tool is moved up and down with a foot pedal. There are adjustable stops to limit the length of the tool travel. There is also a variable speed pulley to alter the speed.

http://www3.telus.net/public/benowak/IMG_4533.jpg

brad

I think the one I worked at was by Samuel Platt of the UK. I definitely remember the place of manufacture being 'Wednesbury'.
Check out http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Samuel_Platt , I like this website!

The machine I used did have an early speed control on the electric motor, probably 5 or seven steps. It never stayed engaged in the intermediate speeds, so we just ran it at max; which appears nearly as fast as the video example.
A.

• 3 months later...