I Forge Iron

rapid hammer..what is it?

Given the ultra fast speed and limited travel I think it must be a cam operated hammer and I think that it is likely specially made for it's purpose. It looks quite useful though as that extreme speed sure gets the work done before the heat is lost... even on that thin section! No flat grinding required afterward either!

WOW! Thanks Grant! A beautiful machine! Patent Expired so not likely that anyone is building them today. Prints available on ebay UK http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RyderS-Patent-Forging-Machine-William-Mackenzie-/180666949488 The general idea seems quite worthy! The ganged adjustable throat capability could be adapted to lots of repetitive forging processes.

old Ency Britanica on google search

also this

"The Ryder forging machine, fig. 178, is used extensively for making bolts, joint pins, hurdle and fencing ends, and analogous work that require reducing or swaging quickly. This machine is made in a somewhat similar form as a power press, and may correctly be called a forging press. The speed is usually about 700 blows per minute, and the multiple slides allow a succession of tools to be used, each pair doing their part of the work. The back and front crossbars are used for fixing guides and gauges. The anvil of each hammer has a wedge adjustment that is used to determine the finished size of the article that is being forged; adjustment can also be made by the screw and hand wheels whilst the machine is in motion, and sometimes they are connected to a treadle, which can be operated by the workman's foot. This mode of working is to be preferred when the required reduction of the bar is considerable. A set ofshearing tools are in the slide on the extreme right of the machine. A forging machine of this type is very useful for forging large quantities of press tools of any particular shape or dimensions. This is readily carried out by fixing suitable swaging and forging tools into the various slides of the machine. The metal shearing attachment, fig. 179, consists of a pair of 12 in. shear blades mounted in a light cast-iron holder, having the necessary adjusting gauges affixed. These may be readily added to any power press, thereby transforming the press into a cross-blade shearing machine. This fixture is very handy when material has to be cut up occasionally, and it may be made in all sizes to correspond with each size or type of power press."

Apparently these were popular tools in their day...I would think not many survive now.

Ric

Grant,
Would you think a small punch press, like what you have used, would be adapted for single tooling and the screw base for adjustment beyond the "norm" for such a press?
Adding an acme screw below seems an easy adaptation.

Ric

OK..it takes me a while, but I get there.
I am not a motorhead, but would a large six or eight cylinder crankshaft work for this?
Balance may be an issue, but I would think that there are enough off the shelf parts to allow a large motor to be adapted to this toy of machine.

Ric

We're talking a huge difference in stroke. Whereas my 15 ton punchpress has a 2" stroke, this machine has (I'd guess) less than 1/4" stroke giving probably 60 - 100 tons. The leverage is enormous, which translate into serious tonnage. The short stroke also allows the high speed. A punchpress frame is designed to the tonnage.

OK..it takes me a while, but I get there.
I am not a motorhead, but would a large six or eight cylinder crankshaft work for this?
Balance may be an issue, but I would think that there are enough off the shelf parts to allow a large motor to be adapted to this toy of machine.

Ric

Most autos are 3" to 4" stroke depending on make model etc

Surprising they can't just get material rolled or even roll it themselves. Thanks for the link, I enjoyed that one. Seems there are a few of those machines about.

Your welcome, I enjoy that show..I wondered the same thing, why dont they just roll it or buy it in sized stock? Maybe its that much cheaper buying it bulk in the round?