I Forge Iron

Forging a rose

I commented to a photographer, Sean Stevens, who has just moved in at the complex where my shop is located, that the time that one of my roses is most beautiful is while I am nearing the end of making it, when the flames from the torch go down among the petals and are diffused, coming back up as a second flower of living flame. I said that usually I was the only one who got to see that beauty. He asked if he could shoot the process, and I agreed. I put his beautiful photographs into a slideshow:

http://www.youtube.c...bed/LV1INAgmfhA

And a few of the photos on their own, including my photos of the resulting bouquet of a half dozen steel roses:

rose01.jpg

rose02.jpg

rose03.jpg

rose05.jpg

rose06.jpg

rose08.jpg

rose10.jpg

rose14.jpg

rose16.jpg

rose17.jpg

rose22.jpg

rose23.jpg

rose25.jpg

rose26.jpg

rose27.jpg

rose3.jpg

rose33.jpg

rose34.jpg

rose37.jpg

rose38.jpg

rose39.jpg

• 1 month later...

Cool photos, cool roses !
How do you clean the scale off, inside and between the petals ?
Andf what finish do you use on them ?

Great job, also I like the simplicity of the hammered stem.
Hat's off to the photographer too !

Naz

• 2 months later...

The top end of the stem is forged down to a tenon, the petal discs stacked on them, and it looks like in the second picture would indicate that the tenon was oxy welded to the top petal disc, or you could just rivet the tenon over to trap the discs before manipulating them into position.

Great sequence of pics

• 2 weeks later...

Woops, saw I had questions a while back.

Naz - The scale is very thin and comes off easily. I just tap the rose against my bench while holding it upside down and it shakes all the loose scale out and dislodges that which is only barely hanging on. I spray them down thoroughly from different angles with Deft clearcoat to get down into the petals. Keeps it looking like steel without rusting.

John B - I thoroughly weld the bottom two layers of petal disks and the top layer, but each layer in between is tacked as well. I do heat and pein the tennon to make a little rivet head after welding.