I Forge Iron

Look what I got yesterday...

It was fun to be part of this delivery. David has himself a really nice hammer, and I got to work with Terry Suthers (which I always enjoy doing). Bob Bergman rebuilt this hammer and put a Variable Frequency Drive on it........we had enough to do yesterday to place, pin, set antivibration pads, hook up an exhaust, wire (done by a very helpful electrician), and test run the hammer - that we didn't get to play with the Frequency Drive. I'd love to see what that would do when changing speeds to see what it does to performance on large stock, plannishing, tooling work, etc.

Hi John Newman, how's that Massey running for you?? Going to Quad State? I'm hoping to. Ralph

John, Looks like the hammer is running really well for you.........and you've been doing some practicing! The spring swage, bolster, and cut off are nice - but I really like your kiss block/ramp die - that's sweet! Hope you can make it down to Ohio - as I'm swamped with projects, jobs, and a couple demos to do in September - but I'd really like to go - if so See you there!

It was great to see how happy David Kahn was on Saturday when we placed his hammer and got it running..........made me think back to how thrilled I was to finally own a 3B when I picked mine up...........but then the reality of rebuilding it over five years made me realize I should have found a running hammer in one respect - but the knowledge I gained during the total rebuild was amazing and got to learn these inside and out during that rebuild - that has been priceless and I've been involed in 5 rebuilds now. (Guess this is where you say - education is costly!!) I was glad the hammer's been running for over 6 years now and has easily paid for itself during the "good times".

Saturday David's hammer going in and running in a 9 hour period made me think - Yeah - David is doing it the RIGHT WAY!! Buy it - Use it.

Guess I'm a glutton for punishment (or I'm a hard learner) as I have a 2B in the shop now for my 6th rebuild............. I want it to come out as nice as David's (and NOT take another 5 years). :-)

Ralph

Fosterob - the plate is 1" cut to 36 x 84. The channel risers are 6". Worked well for making a 2 piece a one piece! :-)

David also placed a sheet of plywood and anti-vibration pad under the plate to the floor - rather impressive in the shock elimination. The 12" reinforced concrete floor is also rather "stout" under the hammer.

Ralph